Thread: Internet Explorer 11 wont allow me to save downloaded files

Internet Explorer 11 wont allow me to save downloaded files

I am having this Dell laptop since past 8 months which came pre-loaded with Windows 8 and IE 10. Just about a week ago i upgraded it to Win 8.1 Preview. I followed the recommended way to upgrade which is from Windows Store. Installation went fine and the new Internet Explorer 11 was also running very good. But i was not aware of the hidden problem.

Yesterday i downloaded a small (5Mb file) in Internet Explorer for the first time since updated it to IE 11. Now the problem i am facing is when i try to save the downloads on my computer, it crashes. If click to run directly, it works good and saves the file to temporary folder, but if click save as and try to save it anywhere else, browser will crash.

Is it just me or anyone else noticed this issue with IE 11? Is there any fix for the same?

Re: Internet Explorer 11 wont allow me to save downloaded files

Hello Anooplok,

I have been through this problem recently. It was with IE 11 itself, just like you. But let me tell you that the problem is not with Internet Explorer 11 but with some of your startup services. I fixed my problem doing this. Press Win + R key to bring up the RUN command, type "msconfig" without quotes and press Enter. Now on the opened window go to Selective Startup and click Load Startup Items.

Now go to services tab and first of check mark the box saying "Hide all Microsoft Services". Once hidden, uncheck all services and save/close the window. To effect the changes, simply restart the computer. Now try using Save As menu in IE. Hopefully it should not crashes.

Atleast it worked for me.

Hey Beckett, thanks for your tips. Even i am facing the same problem with IE 11 but the above mentioned steps didnt helped. I'm getting this problem right from the first use of IE 11 on Win 8.1. Did you managed to fix the problem, Anooplok?

Yeah, that worked for me. I appreciated your help Beckett. That worked like a charm. Now the IE wont crashes at all. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Conquers View Post
    Hey Beckett, thanks for your tips. Even i am facing the same problem with IE 11 but the above mentioned steps didnt helped.
    As you said you facing the problem right from the first launch, I think you should try turning IE Off and On from windows features (it is like re-installing programs). You can do this by going to Control Panel > Turn Off/On Windows Features > uncheck Internet Explorer. Save the settings and restart computer. Now again go to the same place and check mark IE to enable. Save and restart again. Now try to download and save it. See if still IE crashes.

If yes, then disable all Add-ons, delete History, clear Temporary Files, clear Cookies and restart the browser. This should help for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckett View Post
    If yes, then disable all Add-ons, delete History, clear Temporary Files, clear Cookies and restart the browser. This should help for sure.
    Instead of doing all those things simply Reset Internet Explorer and the problem will be gone. You can do this by going to Internet Options > Tool > Advanced > Reset.