Thread: IE 10 on Surface Tablet wont play Videos

IE 10 on Surface Tablet wont play Videos

Hey guys, i need an urgent help from you all. I recently bought a new Surface RT tablet pc. We have a business website with several important videos which works fine on my Windows 8 laptop, but when i try to watch them on my tablet, it wont play them. Instead asks me to install Silverlight.

Thats fine but when i open the store and search for silverlight, the result wont show up anything with that name. What can i do ? It is very important to play those video? Can i install Adobe Flash player on this tab to make it play the same? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: IE 10 on Surface Tablet wont play Videos

If i am not wrong,. you are facing the problem with Metro IE, isn't it? This is because the Metro IE in Windows 8 RT devices wont support any Add-ons. So if it is so compulsory to use Internet Explorer only for your websites and videos, better use the desktop version of IE 10 on the surface. It comes with Silverlight installed. Hopefully you wont facing any problem with the same.

Quote Originally Posted by orlando View Post
    better use the desktop version of IE 10 on the surface. It comes with Silverlight installed. Hopefully you wont facing any problem with the same.
    Help appreciated but the video still not working. Getting the same silverlight required message in desktop version itself. Any other help please?

Here is a small trick i found on a website that makes your Internet Explorer 10 display flash contents on Windows RT. If you want you can try out but i am not sure whether this will work, i cannot test it because i dont have Windows RT:
    • Launch IE 10 desktop version and go to Tools.
    • Click Compatibility View settings and uncheck the option below saying "Display all websites in Compatibility view".

Let me know if it works.

Hey guys, I too have a RT Surface but I can open any website and it displays the flash content without any problem. You just need to do a bit hacking in the IE’s one of the xml file. If you can do it on your own risk, here is what you need to do.

Login with Administrator access.
    Press Win+R to open Run Box and cop paste the below line:

wordpad "%HOMEPATH%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IECompatData\iecompatdata.xml"
    This will open the required xml fine in the wordpad editor.
    Now locate the code similar to this:

<Flash>
    [...]
    <domain>zynga.com</domain>
    </Flash>
    The domain you can see in the code will display the flash contents without any problem. So what you need to do here is simply add your domain in the same manner as mentioned above. Save and restart the PC. You are done.

Wow, that worked like a charm. Thank you very much for the help AzzamKhan. That solved my problem.