Thread: IE 11 Preview will not work with Windows 8.1

IE 11 Preview will not work with Windows 8.1

I was using a Windows 8 laptop since past couple of months with IE 10. About a week ago i installed Internet Explorer 11 preview edition for testing out and it worked fine. New interface, few new features, i must say it is a nice browser for all Internet Explorer fans. Now the problem i am facing is, recently i updated my uprating system as well to new Windows 8.1 Preview directly from the Windows Store. Installation went fine and everything working good, except Internet Explorer.

Problem is with both browsers. My Metro browser atleast starts and work for few hours and later crashes. But Internet Explorer 11 is just not starting up. No matter how i try to start, it just wont run. I can see the process running in Task Manager but it will not come up on the screen. Any suggestion?

Re: IE 11 Preview will not work with Windows 8.1

Did you tried re-installing IE11 after upgrading to 8.1 Preview? If not, do it. Download the installer and install it manually again. It should work. Actually Windows 8.1 is still in development process and while upgrading to the same it disables almost everything from your existing system including the drivers and applications. Hence we need to re-installing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ROcHANn View Post
    Problem is with both browsers. My Metro browser atleast starts and work for few hours and later crashes. But Internet Explorer 11 is just not starting up. No matter how i try to start, it just wont run.
    Yeah, re-installation will definitely fix the problem but if you want you can even try running the troubleshooter before going for re-installation because if we try overwrite any application, it may conflict with the previous installation files. Hence better run troubleshooter using the below steps. If it fixes the problem, you wont require to re-install:
    • Slide in the screen from right side or take your mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen to bring up the charms bar.
    • Click Search and type Troubleshooting.
    • Now click on ‘View all’ option to bring up all applications
    • From the list choose Internet Explorer Performance and run.

Hopefully it should fix the problem.

Internet Explorer is the built-in feature of Windows and hence it cannot be uninstalled like any other programs using Add and Remove. Alternatively, you need to enable and disable it from the control panel > Windows Feature. To do this, bring up the RUN command by pressing Win+R key from any screen. In the RUN box type “appwiz.cpl” followed by Enter. Now click ‘Turn Windows Feature On and Off’. Here simply uncheck the Internet Explorer check box and save. Restart the computer.

Now repeat the process again and enable Internet Explorer. See if now the browser works fine.

I have been through this problem just couple of days ago, fortunately managed to fix it. Hope this works for you also.

First of all make sure that you have ran and installed each update from Windows Updates. Now go to the Internet Explorer installation folder under “Program Files\Internet Explorer\”. Here right click ‘iexplore.exe’ and select Run as Administartor.

The browser should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Who is it View Post
    First of all make sure that you have ran and installed each update from Windows Updates. Now go to the Internet Explorer installation folder under “Program Files\Internet Explorer\”. Here right click ‘iexplore.exe’ and select Run as Administartor.
    Thank you very much for the help friend. This is what I was looking for. It worked like a charm. So the problem was because I haven’t installed Windows Updates.

Help appreciated.