Thread: Get rid of gadgetbox search engine from google chrome

Get rid of gadgetbox search engine from google chrome

I am in need of urgent help from you all. I am using Google Chrome since long time as my default web browser and Google as the search Engine (obviously). Yesterday my browser got updated automatically. No problem. One of my cousin came yesterday and he used my computer/browser for few minutes. Since then i found that whenever i do any search it takes me to search.gboxapp.com. I dont know from where it came. Even when i open new tab, it opens with search.gboxapp.com as my home page. Damn.

I tried following few suggestion i found on web to get rid of the same but none of them worked so far. Hope any one of you guys can tell me how to remove this completely from Chrome. Thank you.

Re: Get rid of gadgetbox search engine from google chrome

I dont think your cousin has brought gadgetbox to your browser. This is akind of malware which can come to your browser anyhow if its connected to internet and if your antivirus is not effective. Hence what you need to is close all programs, update your antivirus and scan the complete system. Before doing scanning just check your installed programs and see if anything related to gadgetbox. If yes, first uninstall, scan and delete the malware and repair your browser. Hope it helps you to get rid of the same.

Thanks for the help Bower. I checked my Add and Remove programs, there is nothing named gadgetbox or anything similar. Even I dint found any extension or plugin with the name in my Chrome browser. Also I updated the AVG Antivirus and scanned for malware. Well it did found two malware, deleted the same but still the gadgetbox appears in Chrome.

Now what? Any other helps please?

That’s correct. You will not find anything named as gadgetbox because it comes with a program called SProtector. Yes, check your Add/Remove Applet again. I’m sure you will find SProtector. Simply uninstall and do reboot the system. Now to Chrome settings and change the search engine to Google. That’s it.

Well even I was facing the same problem and I found GadgetBox installed on my computer. It was listed in Add Remove programs. I uninstalled the same. There is also an another way of doing the same. If you are using windows 7 then right click on the desktop and select ‘Gadgets’. Right click on “GadgetBox App” and Uninstall. This is how I got rid of this annoying stuff.

Deleting Sprotector use to fix the problem. It is a kind of malware and part of OptimizerPro Updater which seeks the information from your computer and send it to the creator. Just uninstall Sprotector and problem will be solved.