Thread: Unable to launch Opera Next 15 in Windows 8

Unable to launch Opera Next 15 in Windows 8

Did anyone tried the new Opera Next here? I was using Opera next 13 since long time on my Windows 8 based Dell Laptop. Never had any problem. Yesterday my system was On and my kid accidentally allowed the Update Pop Up to install Opera Next Update. When i returned i found that the browser was in progress of installing the version 15. Before i cancel it, it got installed. Anyways, thats fine. But now the problem is i am not able to launch the browser any more.

I tried restarting the computer several times but yet the same problem. No matter how many times i click its shortcut or Hit enter but it just wont open. Also no error on the screen. While digging out i found the following error code in Windows app log:
    Faulting application name: opera.exe, version: 15.0.1147.18, time stamp: 0x51a380ca
    Faulting module name: opera.exe, version: 15.0.1147.18, time stamp: 0x51a380ca
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x007e6b8c
    Faulting process ID: 0x1284
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ce5b977904a3e6
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera Next\15.0.1147.18\opera.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Opera Next\15.0.1147.18\opera.exe
    Report ID: b88d06a2-c78a-11e2-be90-a8ba74f1c375
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Can anyone please tell me how can i fix this problem? Also is there anyway i can get back the version 13 to download from anywhere?

Re: Unable to launch Opera Next 15 in Windows 8

Did you tried running the browser directly from its installation directory instead of running from the desktop shortcut? Many times it happens on Windows application or games create problems or just wont launch from the shortcut, but they do from the installation directory. Also can tell you me if you see any process listed about Opera.exe in your task manager after trying to run the browser from desktop? If yes, how many process and what are their names?

Until you reply, you can download the standalone installer of Opera Next 15 from Opera download center and re-install the browser. There would have been some problem/conflict during the update which might have caused this problem.

Let me know the results.

Sorry for the late reply Kraker999. Yes, when i double click the icon to launch the browser, though it wont open but i can see the following to processes running in Task Manager:
    • Opera.exe
    • Opera.exe
    • opera_crashreporter.exe
    • opera_autoupdate.exe

What does this means? Anyways, i haven't tried the second suggestion that is about re-installing the browser. Will do it in next few hours.

Hello Dylanaa,
    Do you have any proxy settings done in Internet Explorer Settings? If yes, then you will need to disable the same because doing the same has atleast helped me with the latest version of Opera Next. Infact I tried it in different ways and confirmed that the proxy is the one creating problems.

When i turned off the proxy and double clicked Opera to run, it opened and leaving it opened when i again enabled the Proxy in Internet Explorer, guess what, Opera closed itself immediately. Hope you understood what i am trying to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Varadaraja View Post
    Do you have any proxy settings done in Internet Explorer Settings? If yes, then you will need to disable the same because doing the same has atleast helped me with the latest version of Opera Next.
    Thank you very much for the help buddy. That is really a working solution. After wasting so many days finally i am now able to use Opera Next. Thanks for sharing such useful info.