Thread: Secure way to share files with friends on Web

Secure way to share files with friends on Web

I want to share some files with my friends. This photos belong to my vacation. Also there are some project files. The data is around 2GB. It can be higher if I had videos on it. I want to share the files on web but I want to limit the access. I do not want those photos or videos accessed by all. My friend suggested me Youtube. But I did not find it private. It is good for public sharing. I am looking for some powerful option that can help me to share files without much hassle. It does not matter if it is chargeable.

Re: Secure way to share files with friends on Web

There are tons of services on the web like Share Files that allows you to upload your documents and then share them with others. I am using Google Drive here. It offers me 5GB space. I had uploaded ample of files and to share I just have to send the link of documents by marking them as private. Once those files are viewed I remove them and put it back in my pc. That is quiet easy. You can try it. There are number of services like this. You just have to go on web and search a little.

If you want maximum security then do this. Divide your files in different folders. Make pieces of 100, 200, 300MB, etc. So that you can upload them easily. Then use Winrar and create a archive with password protection. Use strong password here. Upload them to 4Shared, Google Drive, SkyDrive, etc any service that you can find easy. And share the download link. Now to view them people will have to download and then type the password. I think this is one of the most secured way.

The only way to secure your data is using a powerful encryption policy. There are some file sharing website that gives you that option but for that you have to buy a membership. Sharing files through a Winrar archive is a good option. But I do not think that is effective. Because people will have to download all the files and then unpack them. There chances that the archive can get damaged if not uploaded or downloaded properly. Use services like SendFile or simply create a secure FTP connection.

SendThisFile is one of the most easiest way to share files I think. It offers you protection features. That means the data which is sent is protected. If you are having a web server, that you can buy at a very cheaper rate, you can simply use that to share your files. It is a good way of protecting your data. Because all stuff remains at a central point and what you have to do is send a link which is protected by a password. Later on you can change that link and any access will be blocked.