Thread: How to move Hotmail folder (.ost file) to another location using Outlook 2010

How to move Hotmail folder (.ost file) to another location using Outlook 2010

I am trying to configure Outlook for quite some time now. The hotmail account that I am using is configured in outlook 2010 already and I have used outlook connector and its working properly. I am using a external hard drive and there are few email accounts with me which I was thinking to move the OST file that is made for the hotmail account to my hard drive. I am not able to figure out how to do this? Can anyone tell me a workaround for same. Thank you.
    ASUS P5VD1-X
    Intel Pentium Dual Core 3.00GHz
    Maxtor 160GB
    Corsair 1.5GB PC3200 RAM
    Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT 256mb
    Phillips DVD RW
    Magna 500W PSU
    XION II Steel Black Gaming Case

re: How to move Hotmail folder (.ost file) to another location using Outlook 2010

Try to follow the below method and see if that works for you:

• First of all try to close Outlook and then copy the hotmail OST file that you are having with you to where you want it, for example:
      1. You have to close Outlook and then copy your hotmail OST to where you want it, for instance, from C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\MyAccount_HotMail.ost To: D:\MyStuff\Email\MyAccount_HotMail.ost
      2. After that try to rename the original hotmail OST to MyAccount_HotMail-BackUp.ost and then open a command prompt and type cd C:\Users\Me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook and mklink MyAccount_HotMail.ost D:\MyStuff\Email\MyAccount_HotMail.ost
      3. After that start Outlook
      4. Now the file on the D drive will be "live" OST. You can try to check modify time of the file to verify.

Re: How to move Hotmail folder (.ost file) to another location using Outlook 2010

I dont think that the OST file created for your Outlook is not specific to the Hotmail account, any kind of emails from any accounts whther web based or ISP based can be saved in the same single OST or PST file. Normally, in outlook, you can use the import commant to move from the old OST into the new OST file. Hope this helps.

Re: How to move Hotmail folder (.ost file) to another location using Outlook 2010

At any time when you add a hotmail account in Outlook, generally it will automatically try to create OST files. Thei same OST file is needed to link webserver and the Outlook. I dont think you will be able to transfer the OST file to a different pc and sync it with the hotmail account created. The OST will work with the account with which it was created only. You can try to backup the OST file by exporting the file as a pst and move it to a different computer.

All you need to do is go into Tools and then Account Settings. After that on the data files tab choose the data file for the account. After that you can try to turn off "cached mode" on the advanced tab. You can then try to disable "offline use" on the "offline folder" settings popup. Now you will be able to move the ost to refrence the new location to have Outlook work with it. Once you are done, then try to re-enable Offline user and then turn on Cached mode as well. After this is done, Outlook will take some time to re-synchronize the local data with the server. Hope this helps.