Thread: Internet Explorer 10 wont open

Internet Explorer 10 wont open

I have been using windows 8 from more than a month and I never had any issue with it. However, I don’t know what went wrong with the Internet Explorer 10 suddenly, it just won’t open up. As soon as I click on IE from the app screen, it comes up with IE logo and simply reverts back to the app screen for unknown reason. Is there anyone else who has faced similar issue?? Is there anything I can try to fix it??

Re: Internet Explorer 10 wont open

If this issue has come up suddenly then some recent changes might have caused it. I want to know if you remember the recent changes that you have made. Just try recalling them and let me know so that I can have better idea of the issue you are going through.

As far as recent changes are concerned, I have installed some applications and some games. I don’t think they might be causing any issues, I had installed them a week ago and I did not had any single issue since installing them.
    Internet Explorer 10 has started behaving weirdly all of a sudden, I don’t get any error message as well. I also want to add that I am not able to open Desktop Internet Explorer 10 as well. There is something wrong with Internet Explorer for sure but I am not able to make out exactly what.

Quote Originally Posted by W8 View Post
    I have been using windows 8 from more than a month and I never had any issue with it. However, I don’t know what went wrong with the Internet Explorer 10 suddenly, it just won’t open up. As soon as I click on IE from the app screen, it comes up with IE logo and simply reverts back to the app screen for unknown reason. Is there anyone else who has faced similar issue?? Is there anything I can try to fix it??
    Before I suggest you anything, just answer me below questions….
    Is your system up to date with all recommended windows update installed??
    On what resolution you are running your system?
    Have you tried launching Internet Explorer in other way? (Press Winkey + R, Type: iexplore.exe and click on OK)
    Which antivirus you have installed?
    Just check out these things and let me know so that I can help you out further.

Yes my system is up to date with all recommended windows update installed
    Its running on 1280 x 1040 and I have tried running it on 1280x960
    I have tried launching Internet Explorer by running iexplore.exe command in run but no avail.
    I have avast free antivirus installed

Is there anything else that I need to check out???

I guess there is some 3rd party application installed in your system, which is interfering with Internet Explorer. In that case I will suggest you to perform Clean Boot. You can refer to below steps for performing clean boot.
    Press Windows key +R and type “msconfig” and click on OK
    Under the Services tab, check “Hide all Microsoft services” and hit Disable all
    Also Under “Startup tab” click on “Open Task Manager”, right on each Startup item and disable them
    Once you are done with the above changes, close Task Manager, click on Apply/OK and restart your system.

Performing Clean Boot worked, Internet Explorer is working fine now. So there is actually some third party application interference with Internet Explorer but then how can I track it down??? Should I start uninstalling the applications that I had installed one by one??? I can think of anything else that might help, is there any other better idea???

Yes you will have to uninstall or disable recently installed applications. You can start with antivirus and security programs first. They are likely to interfere with other applications and programs. You can first try disabling your avast free antivirus, if that doesn’t make any difference then you can try uninstalling it. You can follow the same rule for other recently installed applications as well.

I found the culprit in the very first attempt, it’s avast. God knows how and why it is interfering with Internet Explorer. It never did that before. I had installed it in the first week after installing windows 8 and disabling Microsoft security essential. Simply disabling it was making no difference but after uninstalling and restarting my pc when I crossed check IE, it started working fine. I have uninstalled avast completely and I am relying on Microsoft security essential again. I’ll install some other compatible antivirus later on, thanks for all your help.