Thread: Firefox error message “Unable to read settings file, permission denied"

Firefox error message “Unable to read settings file, permission denied"

I am using Firefox 17.0.1 version and since yesterday when I launch it I get an error message saying "Unable to read settings file, permission denied" in upper corner. I can close the error and continue my work but I want to get rid of this error permanently. It has started coming up suddenly and I am not able to track out the cause of this error message, is there anything I can try out to get rid of it, help for fixing this error will be highly appreciated.

Re: Firefox error message “Unable to read settings file, permission denied"

Have you made any changes recently? If this error message has started coming up suddenly then some recent changes might have caused it. I also want me to know if you are getting any error message in other browser, you can cross check it by launching Internet explorer in case you don’t have any other third party browser installed.

As far as changes are concerned I had installed some games and applications last week. I don’t think they might be causing this error as everything was working fine until yesterday since installing those games and applications. There is something else that is causing the error to come up every time. I have crossed check Internet explorer and it works without any issues as such.
    What should I do now? Should I simply uninstall and reinstalling Firefox? Or I can fix it my some other workaround? I am running out of ideas and I can’t think of any other solution that might help.

Before uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox, I will suggest you to launch it in Mozilla Safe Mode. You can follow below steps for launching it in Mozilla Safe Mode.
    Go to start and click on run
    Now type any of the below command and hit enter for launching Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode:
    firefox -safe-mode
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

I followed the above steps and everything is working fine now. I am not getting the same error message. Does that mean I will have to launch Firefox in Mozilla Safe Mode every time from now??
    If yes, then please suggest me some other solution, I really can’t run the above command to launch Firefox every time. I dot mind uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but it’s just that I want to know if there is anything else that I can try before doing that.

If Firefox is working fine in Mozilla Safe Mode then the above error message might be related to some installed extensions. In that case you can go to Tools > Addons > Extensions and start disabling your extensions one by one. Disable one extension at a time and restart Firefox to cross check if it has started working fine. You will have to repeat this process until the error stops popping up, I am quite sure that the cause of this error message is some extension but I want you to post back and confirm the same, best of luck.