Thread: How to set up gmail for outgoing mail from SMF

How to set up gmail for outgoing mail from SMF

I need to set up gmail for outgoing mail in SMF forum. I have tried out possible solutions and haven’t got any luck. I know this is a vb forum and I should open this thread on smf support forums, actually I have already opened some thread asking this and haven’t got any response from them and that’s the reason I am starting a new thread here, hoping for a positive response.

Re: How to set up gmail for outgoing mail from SMF

There are 2 ways for setting up a gmail account on SMF forum. One can either use single address ie is gmail account like abc@gmail.com or set up a domain using google application like @mydomain.com.
    I will suggest you to go with the simplest method i.e using single address. You can refer below steps for doing that.
    First create a new gmail id or use the one you might be willing to use
    Go to SMF Admin panel > Server settings > Feature configuration and fill in the below details:

Set Mail type to: SMTP
    Set SMTP server to: ssl://smtp.googlemail.com
    Set SMTP port to: 465
    Set SMTP username to: abc@gmail.com
    Set SMTP password to: Your email password
    Confirm the password

Once you have filled up everything, save the changes you have made.
    Note – If you are running Apache server than make sure that php_openssl is enabled.

I have tried configuring the things just like you have mentioned above but then I am getting below error message:

fsockopen() [<a href='function.fsockopen'>function.fsockopen</a>]: unable to connect to smtp.gmail.com:465 (Permission denied)

Further help regarding this should be highly appreciated.

I am not sure but try using this and see if it works:

Set Mail type to: SMTP
    Set SMTP server to: ssl://smtp.gmail.com
    Set SMTP port to: 465

I have tried using smtp.googlemail.com as well as smtp.gmail.com but no avail, I am getting same error message again. I have tried using it with and without ssl and have tried all ports from 25, 465 and 587 but no luck. Let me know if there is anything that I need to check out further?? I just need to sort this out as soon as possible.

Have you installed it on a local server?? If yes than make sure that your routers and firewall port 465 is open. I am not sure but I think that you are getting the above error message because 465 is closed.

No I have not installed it on local host, in fact I have installed it on a server, I have bought a domain for it recently and I am testing my forum currently. You said that there are 2 ways for setting up a gmail account on SMF forum. May I know the second one? Will that help???

Ok, I guess your host provider might not be supporting SMTP. Just contact them as check out what they have to say about it. If they are ready to help you than well and good else you will have to transfer your domain to some other host supporting SMTP. I would have suggested you the second way but it won’t work if your host provider doesn’t support SMTP. So first cross check what I’ve asked for and post back the response you get from them.