Thread: Skype gives an error while shutting down windows 8

Skype gives an error while shutting down windows 8

My system is having windows 8 consumer preview installed and yesterday I have installed skype. I did not had any issue in installing skype and It worked fine as well. However, when I am trying to shut down my system I am getting below error message:
    The instruction at 0x00cfb43 referenced memory at 0x05050519. The memory could not be read.
    I don’t have any idea about this error and I will like to know if there is any workaround that I can try to fix it.

Re: Skype gives an error while shutting down windows 8

Which version of skype are you using?? Since you are getting memory reference error, I wanted to know if you have tried increasing virtual memory. If not, than you can try increasing it. I haven’t used windows 8 consumer preview yet but as far as I am aware you can set virtual memory by going in to system properties > Performance option > virtual memory. You can select “custom size” option, input virtual memory size accordingly, click on ok and cross check the issue.

I have installed latest version of skype which is 5.7.0.137 beta. I have tried increasing virtual memory and I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling skpye without any luck. It seems as if skype is not fully compatible with windows 8, I did not had any issue in running skype on windows 7. I have been installing recommended windows update from time to time and my system is quite up to date. What should I do know? Has anyone got success in using skype on windows 8 here???? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

Have you tried using older version of skype rather than latest beta??? If not, than try downloading and installing skype 4.2 and see if it works without any such issue. Just make sure that after installing it you are disabling automatic updating of Skype. You should uninstall current version of beta using Revo uninstaller first and make clean installation of skype 4.2 later, best of luck.

Since you have mentioned that skype is running fine and you are getting that error message while shutting down the system, I think there’s a spyware. I am not sure but it’s possible that the error message you are getting might be a fake alert by some spyware. Just run a thorough scan using recommended antivirus like Microsoft security essential or malware bytes and check out if it detects anything.

Firstly :-

Beta + beta is not a good tango....

Use a stable version of skype.

Secoundly be patient and check skype forums, see if others of had the issue, skype staff maybe addressing it.