Thread: Suitable rss reader for linux

Suitable rss reader for linux

Want some help to to find a suitable RSS reader for Linux Mint. I had tried to add the same in a third party app but that eat my system resources. I cannot configure the same and it is a bit complicate to maintain also. I know there are suitable applications in which I can add up tons of RSS for reference purpose. But I need something that work more lightly. I am already working on Thunderbird. It is nice, but a bit complicated to handle.

Re: Suitable rss reader for linux

What are the complications you are facing in thunderbird. I cannot find any of those. It is best for mail surfing and RSS reading. It is also quiet easy to configure. You just have to go in File Menu > New > Account and then in the same configure your RSS. Just do not forget to choose RSS News & Blog as your default option for the account that you had configured. That does not looks complicated to me.

I too agree for the same. Thunderbird is the best one. It is better if you can keep all of them in one place. So that you can sort them out as per your need. If you need some rss only then go for Google Reader. This is one of the most easiest way. But if you need to sort them on the basis of categories then there is no better option then Microsoft Outlook. I had not tested the folder thing in Thunderbird. What I was looking for is adding a RSS in the form of category. For example if I am subscribing on the basis of medical terms I would like to put different RSS on different folders so that it can be much easier for me to check what I want.

Thunderbird gives you a basic approach and it work smoother also. Even today I am using the same and I am quiet satisfied. It is not complicated to configure, all you mails can be deleted from the server itself. You just need to choose IMAP or POP3 from the account option. IMAP allows you remote connection where whatever changes done by you will be same on server, while POP3 provides you offline access. When you add a new account you have to click on Manage Subscription to add links in the same. You can export all of them to a files so that the same can be used for future purpose also.

There is a simple RSS reader for all type of Linux Distro. It is called as Liferea. You can find the download from liferea.sourceforge.net and if you have doubt on the same you can read the documentation. It will guide you on tool.

I am using Liferea. I have a old Debain based system which is quiet a dull pc. I do not want to throw it always. Instead I am using as my default news reader. I had installed a traditional debain based operating system and configure hundreds of RSS on Liferea. I can give better information on it. First of all this is a very lite tool. You do not need to hassle with settings or makes major changes. It is free and easy to configure. The tool works on offline basis also. It is actually a desktop app that keeps all your RSS at one place. All feeds are stored locally on your system.

The feeds are linked with news or some of them also had images. This elements are pulled through internet in other news reader. You might have not noticed but there are very less RSS reader that download all the feeds and provide you offline access. I connect internet for sometime on my system. So fix it on the wifi and download everything atleast two time in a day. The same then can be used on other pc also. If there are many feeds configured then your system might respond a bit slower at the time of download. Because it takes a good resource to get each and every information from feeds bit by bit. Because it downloads everything on the hard drive, it becomes a bit heavier.

Try Sage. This is a very lightweight news reader I had found. I was using this at my office which worked really well. It is not complicated to configure or handle the same. It comes with very basic settings.

If you need a advance tool to organize the feeds after download then you have to go for Rssowl. This app is available for other platform also. It is like a plugin which works quietly for your RSS requirement. It offer you different language support which makes your job easier. You can sync Google Reader with Rssowl and your all updates are sync automatically.

I had seen many users demand for a option by which they can organize the feeds more properly. Because all feeds are simply added inside a single box. So when you try to find some news based on particular topic it tooks a nice good time. It has a single Window interface which is divided into two parts. The top one shows the list of rss which is reflected at the below end. So you can simply check which you have to read and which you have to ignore. Along with the Reader stuff, it provides you a embedded browser. So if in case you have to checkout some links you can click and see it. It supports a variety of RSS.

Did you checked the same in package Software Manager. I am sure you will find something better there. Go on Software Manager and type RSS Reader in the search box. You can get the list of top tools in that.

I am using Opera. This is a browser plus a RSS reader. But if you configure the same on Windows it lags a lot. It works quiet nicely on Linux based system. I had installed Opera and configure around 68 RSS.

It works well. It lacks some categorization or view angle. But it is best for quick reference. You can save your time from configuring different types of tools and adding RSS feeds manually. Opera can be located in Software Manager.

Here is a small list of tools that you can go for. They are Blogbridge, Syndigator, K. R. S. S., Eclipse Rss Reader and BottomFeeder. Have a look on this tools. I am sure you can locate them in Software Manager.