Thread: Difference between Public and Private Cloud

Difference between Public and Private Cloud

I am a B.Sc.IT Graduate and I am eager to know something about Cloud Computing. I have gone through various articles and studied various blogs; one debate I found common everywhere was that which Industry will be more dominant Public clouds or Private Clouds. Which of the two industries will generate more revenue?

It is one of the important things to be discussed and to be taken in consideration. Cloud computing stresses on pay-per-use services in real time over the internet. Today for most of the parts IT needs to enter into cloud based services individually but then again the question still remains the same “What is the Difference between Public and Private Cloud?”

Re: Difference between Public and Private Cloud

The simple and common difference between the public and private cloud is that the Public cloud is mostly used by the internet users as a service whereas a Private cloud is completely managed by the individuals working in an organization as it is deployed with some boundaries like firewalls and it is only for particular organization. Monthly bill has to be paid by the users for accessing the public cloud services, but the scenario is completely different in the private cloud environment here the charges are based on per GB usage and even there are different charges for bandwidth transfer.

The main functionality and principle of public cloud is scalability of storage to almost all the users it doesn’t requires any hardware device. Whereas, in the private cloud environment the scalability of data should be between the individuals of an organization and the third party depending upon the trust they build with the organization. The data is particularly by the higher level authorities of an organization. Hope this helps you to understand what is the major and big difference between both the clouds.

I feel private cloud is better than the public cloud as it is accessible only behind the firewalls and it functions for an organization in an independent manner. The advantage of private cloud is that it cannot be accessed from anywhere it is secured. Data security is much better as compared to that of private cloud. It can be expanded as per the organizations requirements and thus it offers flexibility. Private cloud offer more scalable business environment. One of the best things about the private clouds is they are licensed like the enterprise.

The duration for which data can be stored will never affect the cost this makes it an ideal solution for archives or content applications. Private clouds are inside the firewall and are used over the Ethernet Local Area Network with the help of dedicated wires. It provides with speed of 100MB/s which is range per node and it is pretty good. Since it is in the private environment there is a crew which deals with the management of the cloud the crew consist of system administrators.

There are so many advantages that it offers so I feel private cloud is always a better option as we can even increase the network as per our needs.

I feel public cloud is much better as It is actually made to create an accessible business environment. You can access the public cloud from anywhere at any point of time. It poses some of the security risk but still it is better than the private cloud in many ways. It is an excellent source to store different type of data and even the cost is minimal only if the data is to be stored for longer period of time only then the cost factor increases. It is very easily accessible as it can be accessed from anywhere and thus provides you with more flexibility option.

There are two major factors which make public cloud better than the private cloud that is availability and reliability. Public cloud makes the availability of data to many geographical locations by simply replicating the data. You can use the public cloud as an alternative for content distribution network. It is basically based on the demand storage scalability and you are not required buy any hardware for the storage of data. In public cloud environment the organization has to bear the responsibility to manage and the resources as the user can claim for it from any part of the world.

According to me performance wise they are almost similar the only difference lays in the architecture. Yes it is acceptable that both have some good points as well as some bad points on which they can be distinguished, it is really very difficult which cloud is better. As both have equal number of pros and cons.

However most of the people feel that Public cloud is much better than the Private cloud just some factors should be taken care such as security, confidentiality and public cloud will be something which should be looked forward to. At the movement it is difficult to decide which one is better.