Thread: FLV Players shows white box in IE but works fine in Firefox

FLV Players shows white box in IE but works fine in Firefox

I don’t know how I can come across this problem since I don’t have much knowledge about the Website plug-in integrations and customization. This was the first time I am going through a serious job. I have created a website which contains a gallery of few FLV videos. Users can add videos on it also. When I click on the link, the video should open up in some external FLV player and start playing. It was programmed to play like this way only using some JavaScript code. When you click on any of the link, the video have to start playing in a separate player. Luckily I get it to work in Firefox (v10 and later, didn’t check in previous versions). But I could not able to make it work on IE. When I click on video link, it will simply open a blank box and nothing. It looks like a player but nothing will be player over it. How can I fix this issue?

Re: FLV Players shows white box in IE but works fine in Firefox

The Firefox and IE both contain different features. The IE does contain lot of security updates than the Firefox. The IE will not allow a webpage to execute script on client side unless it is allowed manually by the user. It will simply block an scripting code from executing. If you are really getting white display while viewing FLV content, you have to do more research on swfobject. The current javascript code may not be fully functional. You have to write a function which could be compatible and executed in cross platform browsers. The problem is both browser need different form of object element like "double-object". When you search on Google for swfobject, you will get several documentation with good examples which will help you to fix the bug.

I have also seen White box in Internet Explorer when using the SWFObject script. The script is used to load the flash files on FLV player. It is the best player to load and playback the Flash content. It happens when the browser is set to check the new Temporary Internet Files automatically. If the page is getting refreshed repeatedly or if there is a frequent callback, it will show white box instead of the flash video. When you right click on it, it will show that flash player did load but didn’t render. To fix this issue you have 2 solutions right now and they are:
    • First you have to change the Temporary Internet File settings
    • Put a random querystring value where you will define the FLV file name.

I have seen that in some situation it is too hard to solve the issue regarding the IE rendering. The web developer should be aware about the major browsers functionality, features and security updates while developing any webpage or webform. You have to verify the pixel width and height of rendering of the FLV Player in your javascript code and make it as default or automatic so that it can fit in both browsers. I don’t know why the pixel dimensions appear incorrect for the IE since it is working fine in Firefox.