Thread: getting error: 0x87160139 with Windows Live Movie Maker

getting error: 0x87160139 with Windows Live Movie Maker

I have been using Movie Maker and I did not had any issues with the same and everything was working fine by now but then since after updating it to the newest version 2011 (Build 15.4.3502.0922) the problem that I am facing is that I am not able to save the movie, I mean that when I am trying to save it then I am getting an error message saying 0x87160139, I have found that there are some videos having yellow triangles but then I am quite sure that they all are located, I have tried removing and adding videos several time but then it is not making any difference and I am still have the same issue, is there anyone who has faced the same and has an idea about this issue and can help me out as well??

Re: getting error: 0x87160139 with Windows Live Movie Maker

Before I suggest you something about the same I just wanted to know that what is the file format of the movie that you are trying to save?? I also wanted to share that the issue occurs if the photo or video file have been deleted and when you are trying to add the same, there are possibilities that the same content might be in use with some other program and so, so just make sure that there are no such programs running in the background which might be using the movie that you are trying to publish in Windows Movie Maker, I have checked out for the error: 0x87160139 and I have come across some people who had faced the same issue but then they were able to solve it out by saving the movie as “High-definition (720p)” rather than “High-definition (1080p)”., so if you want then you can try out the same and check out if it is making any difference in your case or not. Just check out the things that I have suggested and then let me know which solutions is helping you out in getting rid of the error message.

I am not aware of the above solution but then I just wanted to add that I had the same issue previously and I had tried solving out the issue by restarting the program, actually in my case the source was MP4 HD (1080p) @60FPS and changing the file format was just not making any difference and the yellow triangle was coming up again and again as you have mentioned and I was just not able to make a movie, even though the files were not deleted or missing and were in the original location, there was not any user issues, I was really very disappointed with the upgrade, I have been looking after an effective solution for the same in other forums as well but then I have just found more and more people having the same issue and there was not even a single effective solution to sort it out.

I have been facing the same issue, I am trying to import videos from a SD card of my Sony HDR-XR550VE camcorder and the videos there is having suffix .MTS, when I am trying to play the same in Windows Live Movie Maker then many of them are having the yellow triangle which you all have described and when I am clicking on the same then I am getting an error message number 0x87160139 or 0x87260103 with a message saying that the file needs to be repaired, I have tried playing the same files in Windows Media Player and they are playing it fine without any such issues, I have tried out saving the movie as “High-definition (720p)” rather than “High-definition (1080p)” but the that is not making any difference, is there anything else that I can try out??? Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated.

I have checked out for the same and I have found the below possible solutions:
    • Close Windows Explorer as well as any other program that might related with the video clips or accessing it without your knowledge
    • If that does not help then close and reopen Windows Live Movie Maker and that should help if there is nothing wrong with the video clips

I have tried out the same and it has helped, I have found some people mentioning that they have solved out their issues by doing the below things as well.
    • Saving the movie as “High-definition (720p)” rather than “High-definition (1080p)”
    • Cutting down the video clips in parts and then saving video clips and making sure that they are not bigger than 2 min and after that putting all the clips in one and only clip.

I also wanted to add that in my case I was having large project with maybe 25 video clips with some transition/effects but then after trying out the first two solutions the issue was solved out in my case. So just try out these possible solutions and then let me know if any of them is helping you out or not.

I think that I can help you out here guys, actually I was having the same issue where the Movie Maker was not reading multiple files that were having the same name, so when I was adding a movie clip and then splitting the same for trimming out a piece in the middle then I was getting the same error code but then later I after a lot of trouble shooting I was able to fix the issue, I had used the same clip by copying the original clip and then renaming it and after time I loaded the clip using the copied and as well as the renamed versions, so if anyone is still having the same issue after trying out the above solution then they can try out what I did, when you will try out this then the movie will get save no matter the number of clips, their length or the size of the file they will get saved until there is enough for handling it, I also wanted to add that when you perform this then follow the first two solutions that has been mentioned in the above post as well. Just try it out and then let me know what response you all are getting for this solution.

Even I wanted to share that I was having the same issue with 25 minute long movie, actually I was editing from standard def and HD camcorder but then when I was trying to save the movie or burn a DVD then I was getting yellow exclamation marks for some of the clips, even though the clips were there and they were not deleted, I had tried out the Resaving method and it had helped me out sometime but then not all the time it used to get failed some time and some time it used to show the render time more than hour and I had to cancel the process, I had tried out closing exiting windows live movie maker and starting it again and even it had helped me out some times but then the best solution that I found for this issue was restarting the whole system and then opening windows live movie maker and then doing the save or Burning DVD immediately without editing and wasting time, if even this does not help then I don’t think that there is any other possible workaround left.

Error in window live maker i think it can be a technical problem or not enough knowledge regarding it how to operate all functions of it or proper use.