Thread: Tab size doubled up in Firefox 12

Tab size doubled up in Firefox 12

Yesterday my Firefox has updated to version 12.0. During my previous update I have never seen any kind of problem like this. The setup also installed the latest "Tree Style Tab" add-on which changed the tabs vertically in a tree style. I don’t bother about it and they are all working fine but the main concern is those tabs are too larger in size or height. If I open many tab, it will create problem. It is practically unusable to me. Is there any way to change this style and bring back to normal mode? Right now I have applied the default theme (12.0 Strata) and I don’t want to change it. So if there is a good fix, it will be much appreciated.

Re: Tab size doubled up in Firefox 12

First of all I would rather try starting Firefox in Safe Mode. If I see no issue there, then I will try with all add-ons, extensions, and themes are disabled. Then try enabling them one by one until I find which add-on causing this problem. I assume that it is not the cause of Tree Style Tab add-on. It is working fine in my case since I am also using the Firefox 12. I think that for more information you can also refer the Extensions and Themes troubleshooting guide as well as the Troubleshooting plugins article as well.

Did you try creating a new profile?

In my case the above solution didn’t work but I was able to resolve it by configuring the "Tree Style Tab" add-on to be in "Vertigo" mode. To do this, go to "Tools" Menu -> Add-ons -> Tree Style Tab -> "Options" button -> "Skin of the tab bar" section -> "Vertigo".

Extensions to manage and optimize the tabs in Firefox are not lacking. Tab Mix Plus to Tabs Menu , to Tab Sidebar , or the very original Reveal , we did have plenty of choices to customize the tabs and their functionality to accommodate our preferences in the matter. The organization and display of the tabs are rational in my opinion the two most important parameters of this customization, as they constantly impacting the ease of navigation. In addition to the inevitable (at least for me) TabMixPlus , so I use for some time a small extension that will allow me to optimize the space in my tab bar: FaviconizeTab . Indeed, and according to the themes used, the successive openings of tabs either reduce the size of the tabs in the toolbar, or shift the tabs altogether. This clever extension will reduce the size of the tabs of your choice in the size of the favicon , freeing more space for the other (or new) tabs. The switch between normal tab and favicon tab is done either through the context menu, or by a keyboard shortcut user-defined in the plug-in options. It is therefore very fast. One advantage of FaviconizeTab is to enable the automatic reduction of the tabs on selected urls, which is particularly useful if you have programmed several pages to host the opening of Firefox.

I did this:
    • In the address bar of Firefox about: config type.
    • Enter in the search bar browser.tabs.tabMinWidth filter function.
    • Open the entry by double-clicking.
    • Here is to the value of discretion non 100 to 75 or even 50 are provided.
    • After launch a new browser and the value is accepted, it will be a few more TABs visible because the width of the TABs have been reduced.

I have an easy way to troubleshoot your problem and I hope that this will work. To do this first go to the profile folder via Help > Troubleshooting Information. By the use of CSS code, it will be easy for you to or any theme makers to set a minimum tab width. If you are the only who wants to customize Firefox, in that case you have to make use of user.js to initialize prefs and/or userChrome.css (user interface) as well as userContent.css (websites). In my case I use a particular CSS files for each Firefox version. I usually add it to an @import url("file.css"); rule to import the files for a specific profile so that I am able to keep the userChrome.css clean. It is very easy and you will get ti know about it once you started using it.