Thread: Is it Safe to remotely connect my PC with Microsoft Technical Support

Is it Safe to remotely connect my PC with Microsoft Technical Support

Since last few days I am in touch with Microsoft Technical support. It’s been a great experience as I have got almost all kind of Technical assistance from there end. Now the person, with whom I am in touch with emails, wants to connect remotely to my computer to provide me with better assistance. I am a bit worried over its safety as I have never tried it before. Is this their normal procedure? Also I want make sure that this request is a Bona-fide request with the authority and knowledge of Microsoft. I really appreciate the assistance offered by them but I am a little nervous about this and I won’t b comfortable without confirming this so please let me know that is this safe. Will it affect my system by any means?
    Thank you.

Re: Is it Safe to remotely connect my PC with Microsoft Technical Support

Hey Friend don’t be nervous as there is no wrong in inquiring about the security policies as it is about the safety of our system. Microsoft has its support centers across the globe and as a part of delivering support they use the medium of email, phone and remote session. These sessions are recorded too. During the remote session the Engineer can also request you to provide control of your system so that he can remotely perform necessary troubleshooting or some important settings. If you are worried about the security of your personnel stuff and uncomfortable with the idea of remote session, you can either provide them read-only access or else you can simply decline the request asking them to provide you assistance over Phone or email. But it would be better if you allow them to have a remote access to your system. Hope this helps you taking your decision

I’ll explain you the procedure, how they’ll connect using the remote connection. They will direct you using a website and will use Office Live Meeting to connect to your machine. This is the common procedure when they are directing you to do something. They will ask you to install a custom piece of software for remotely viewing your machine and walking you through certain steps. This is very simple and you can completely rely on it. They use SSL/TLS encryption (same as Lync), a live meeting protocol. It is a secure connection and you can cut it off any time if you are feeling unsecured. Just be relax and go for it feel free to allow a remote connection as you’ll be interacting with Microsoft.

Microsoft will always use a secure remote connection and everything is recorded on their end so that no harm is done to your PC. Alternatively, if you are not comfortable with their remote software, you can always use various remote support services such as logmeinrescue, gosupportnow etc.