Thread: How to view and print PDF files in Firefox 12

How to view and print PDF files in Firefox 12

My Macbook has not got a update Firefox Browser which is of version 12. Along with it I have installed the PDF Viewer 0.2.5 plug-in and enabled it. The Add-on container is also showing that PDF Viewer 0.2.5 plug-in has been enabled but whenever I click on any PDF file on the website, nothing happens and not even it downloaded to my computer. The adobe reader which I have installed on Macbook is up-to-date.

Re: How to view and print PDF files in Firefox 12

In my case also it is not working at all and seems like the plug-in is not compatible with Firefox 12.0. I could not able to find an application/pdf or PDF file inside my Preferences/Applications/Content Type list. The first three items in the applications box says "Adobe Acrobad FDF document", "Adobe Acrobat XML Data Package File", and "Adobe Form Client Data File". And all of them chosen to "Use Adobe Reader (default)". I don’t have any other option or type to refer PDF there. Whenever I open a PDF file or link, it sometimes opens on the same tab or Window or sometime on new tab. I can see the URL in my address bar but it shows only blank page. It looks like the Firefox 12 does not know how to handle the PDF files any more. Even I copied the PDF link and tried to open on separate window and there also it simply showing blank Window.

Avoid installing the adobe reader that only brings problems, free pdf readers do not regret. If you are using kde, just install the package "kpartsplugin" to use in firefox (and other browsers) the kde programs to display pdf files (and many others). No need any configuration, but only if you use gnome you would not recommend it because it would bring back half as kde dependencies. If you are using gnome, you should use seen in firefox. Do not have a plugin's, but I remember that there is a procedure to obtain the same effect!

AS far as I know that the Firefox 12 with PDF Viewer plug-in capable to show a page PDF directly in the browser (either Firefox or Safari) without downloading the file to any folder. When viewing the PDF, a small toolbar (with icons easily understood) can save or print the file or modify (rotate, double page, zoom, etc.) it is displayed at the screen. I have been using this Plug-in from the past few years and after each installation of Adobe Reader I turn on the plug-in that does not interfere with anything. If you hold a lot in Firefox PDF Plugin for Mac OS X, one could try to "bumper" the value of maxVersion in the install.rdf file but I cannot guarantee that this module and modified works with FF 12. If you want to try this solution, I will give details on the procedure of "bumper".

Mac OS X allows default to read PDF with preview, save a PDF document with the Print function. With other operating systems, you can convert files to PDF format using software such as free office suite OpenOffice. But with certain web pages, all this does not always work very well. I use a Firefox extension, PDF Download , which I tested on Mac OS and Windows, which allows you to read PDF directly with the browser and convert web pages to PDF.

Read a PDF directly in the browser
    Once installed PDF Download, you can configure it to read the PDF file with the default application (Acrobat Reader on Windows, Mac OS Preview) or with the browser. To read a PDF file, nothing more simple, you click on the link, a dialog box appears, one chooses to read the file from the browser or with the default application. In Mac OS, in general, reading is best done with Preview. On Windows, Firefox reading poses no particular concern

Convert a web page to PDF
    Download PDF can be used to convert web pages to PDF. To do this:
    • Click on the icon in the top right of the browser window;
    • It takes a while the conversion is performed on the server pdf download, sometimes the server is crowded!
    • You can view the page or save it.

With the print function of Mac OS, some web pages are not properly converted to PDF, whereas they are perfectly PDF Download.

See if it is as useful as report it in as many as forums possible so that you can get upgraded solution to the occurrence of this problem. Seems to depend on the latest versions of Adobe Reader that if you update or install from scratch install a plugin (NPAPI Adobe Acrobat Plug-in) that causes the problem due to the malfunction of the plugin for Firefox (regardless of which version of Firefox installed). In fact the problem with Safari not occurs despite the presence of that plugin.