Thread: Does Firefox 12 capable share a cache on profiles

Does Firefox 12 capable share a cache on profiles

Currently there are two shortcuts to 2 different Firefox profiles. This has been made for my dual monitor. One shortcut is on the first monitor and another on my second. I want to be function when the Firefox saves previous session where it was closed and automatically opens in the same location. By this automatic feature of Firefox, it opens on the same monitor which I want it to be. There is no need to drag it back and forth. Do you think that is there any good way to do this other than creating 2 shortcuts on 2 different monitors? I don’t think that there is any easier way. I would like to share them from one centralized location other than saving two caches for 2 different profile and share the same setting. It just a waste of HDD space to have the same two caches.

Re: Does Firefox 12 capable share a cache on profiles

I think that it is possible for you to set the location of the cache. But it is possible to share the cache only if you are not looking forward to open both profiles at the same time Cache directory location can be viewed in about:cache. You can also change the location by using the "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory" preference and inserting a folder path. When you restart the browser, a new directory named “Cache” will be created on your specified path. But there is a possibility that cache index files will get corrupted. The reason is, the Firefox is not developed to behave or work like this. Also, some only larger image and media files are stored separately and other files are saved in a container file. I don’t know what will happen with those. So it would be better not to open both profiles at the same time.

There is a small launcher utility called MultiFirefox which is 100% open source and MIT licensed. This utility allows you to run multiple versions of Firefox side-by-side on a single computer. No matter if you are using a single monitor and dual monitor. It also allows you to configure multiple profiles (one or more for each version of Firefox). This tool saves the last launch preferences for easy launching. You don’t need to manually update this utility since it has a auto-update feature whenever it needed improvements.

The Firefox profile can be seen as a container that contains all user data and settings related to Firefox. Then bookmarks, extensions, browsing history, personal information and all other customizations are saved in your Firefox profile. In some cases, it may be useful to use different profiles for different situations. An example that comes to mind is the web developer who installed millemila extensions for developing and debugging their own web applications. So, it would be nice to use the profile "work" for his work as a developer, while the profile "default" for normal navigation. By default, you cannot run multiple instances of Firefox with different profiles. Since version 2.0 of Firefox was introduced a new parameter -no-remote. This allows us to make a second profile Firefox concurrently with the first. So, taking the 'previous example, after launching the first instance of Firefox normally, we can run concurrently with the second firefox.exe -P work -no-remote. If we want to optimize for ourselves, we have create the shortcuts on the desktop. On the properties of the icon we can modify the target field, adding two new parameters.

I think that you have to customize the profile. Start new profile while unchecking do not ask at startup! In addition to installing your favorite extensions for web development. Quit Firefox and restart again the usual way. The profile manager appears that you have unchecked Do not ask to start earlier, select your old profile and this time check Do not ask at startup. Now your profile surf classic will open by default, as was always the case. Now fill the new profile launch at the same time as that of normal surfing. Correct the small problem because we cannot open a Firefox profile at a time.

Note: In the comments section I noted that there is the "-no-remote" when launching Firefox from the command line that eliminates the tax MOZ_NO_REMOTE. It m 'also reveals the extension Profile Switcher which can switch more easily from one profile to another as the command line (well it depends on our habits). This is an alternative for the following discussion.