Thread: Cannot move tabs in Firefox 12

Cannot move tabs in Firefox 12

After updating from Firefox version 11 to version 12, there is no way I can move tabs on the tab bar. It seems like the tabs opened are completely locked. There is no drag and drop functions enabled for the Tab bar. Do you think that there is lock and unlock button for the tab bar which will enable and disable dragging/dropping of tabs? I always use permanent private browsing mode with third party cookies and cache disabled. Is it really a bug or this feature has been simply disabled in the latest browser?

Re: Cannot move tabs in Firefox 12

Can you tell me what are the add-ons or extension installed and enabled for your browsers?

Can you list them out?

I have heard that this issue is caused by the TorButton addon. This is an unfortunate issue and I don’t think that there is any fix other than disabling it. The only fix is, disable this add-on by going into the Tools > Add-ons then Extensions and click on TorButton, choose Disable. Restart the Firefox to take effect. If possible also try to Start Firefox in Safe Mode. This will help you to find out which extensions are causing the problem. Switch to DEFAULT theme and do not make changes to the settings.

I use Firefox as your primary browser on my Mac, combined with Safari (for my calendar) and Camino (for email). There are two reasons why I have not proposed to change my browser and why I like Firefox but never finished convince me at all. Safari seems faster but there is always a page that gives me problems. The first reason that I do not plan to change is Mouse Gestures extension and the second is the ease when moving between tabs. Let's say I have four tabs open, as in the photo above, and in each I have a different page. Now let's say I am on the first tab and I want to move to the second, Firefox allows me to do this either by mouse or the keyboard shortcut Command + 2. If I wanted to move to the third tab, the combination would be Command + 3 and so on.

Safari also offers the ability to move between tabs, but the key combination is not as intuitive.

It now seems to me that Firefox 12 moves to the Aurora channel which comes with a long-awaited New Tab Page and Home Tab. The new tab page is very much like Chrome’s but with ton of Firefox-unique functionality. The new tab page shows 3-by-3 grid of your most-visited websites. There you can hide a tile, drag and drop the tiles and more. For Firefox home tab there are 2 phases: First one adds “launchers” at the bottom. It may contain one-click links to downloads, settings, apps etc and the Phase two reworks on the home page paradigm.

Firefox 12 unveils a new tab page helpful. Exit the blank page, it is now possible to display thumbnails of new websites, whether popular or results added manually. By default, however, this new feature may not be available and it is then a blank page that appears. To activate the new tab page, from Firefox 12, it should go to about: config and change the key browser.newtab.url. It will then replace its value about: blank by about: newtab. You then to define shortcuts to websites you want to have on hand when opening a new tab. Note that it is possible to rearrange the thumbnails, delete or pin so as not to see them disappear. Two small icons located in the upper allow more hide this page and reset new tab.

Quote Originally Posted by @bLERINA@ View Post
    Can you tell me what are the add-ons or extension installed and enabled for your browsers?

Can you list them out?

I have heard that this issue is caused by the TorButton addon. This is an unfortunate issue and I don’t think that there is any fix other than disabling it. The only fix is, disable this add-on by going into the Tools > Add-ons then Extensions and click on TorButton, choose Disable. Restart the Firefox to take effect. If possible also try to Start Firefox in Safe Mode. This will help you to find out which extensions are causing the problem. Switch to DEFAULT theme and do not make changes to the settings.
    I have the same problems - I have RoboForm, Acrobat Reader, Java, Loki, Shockwave, Silverlight, and Windows Live Photo Gallery. New installation on a new Win 7 Netbook. Help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by bathrick View Post
    I have the same problems - I have RoboForm, Acrobat Reader, Java, Loki, Shockwave, Silverlight, and Windows Live Photo Gallery. New installation on a new Win 7 Netbook. Help would be appreciated.
    Well, can you please explain in details like what similar problem are you facing so that we can assist you with your issue. Since this tabs issue in firefox 12 is caused by TorButton addon, then have you tried uninstalling or disabling the same. After disabling it check whether your problem gets solved or not, or you can even revert back to any firefox working versions.

I don't have the TorButton add on.

I don't have the TorButton add on.
    I agree with spearman this issue has been mostly because of the addons but then it is not necessarily with the TorButton add on, i will suggest you try first run the Firefox in safe mode Disable all add-ons that you might be having and see if the issue is getting solved or not, once you are sure if it is because of a addon then you can disable the same in normal mode. There are possibilities that it might be because of extensions and themes and for that You can check out the below guide for extensions and themes.
    Troubleshooting extensions and themes

I wish I could say that worked, but it didn't. I first disabled all add-ons and extensions. No luck. I then restarted the browser in safe mode and still no luck. I have no themes to disable.

Mike

Mike

I wish I could say that worked, but it didn't. I first disabled all add-ons and extensions. No luck. I then restarted the browser in safe mode and still no luck. I have no themes to disable.

Mike

Mike
    I have been checking out for the same and i have found most of the firefox user to be mentioning that the issue is because of the TorButton addon and disabling the same has helped them out but then you seems to be having different case.The same issue was last year as well and was fixed in an update later, so i think that you will have to wait for the firefox to fix this in their update,till then you can switch to some other working version of the same as already suggested.