Thread: My Gmail mails are not getting downloaded in Apple mail.

My Gmail mails are not getting downloaded in Apple mail.

How messy can situations get? Mail, how important a thing is it to a businessman who does most of his document transactions vial mail and nothing else. I should be calling it an asset, I guess and imagine the device meant to help me in this regard is not at all doing this and is instead creating troubles of a huge level leading into messes that I’m totally unable of getting out of! It was working so damn perfect till the last time I went out for a business meeting out of the state and I had carried another non-mac portable device, wherein I had configured my gmail account. It went perfectly fine and I had perfect access to all my email accounts. But when I reached back home and realized that that the mails that was available for me on my portable device is not visible out here. Now, I was out for 10 weeks, you cannot expect me export all 1000s of very important, important and not so important mails to my Mac. Now, what I expect from starting this thread is nothing less than a super-perfect set of solutions that is sure enough to solve the issue that I am facing and am clueless about. Looking forward for a fool-proof single attempt solution

Re: My Gmail mails are not getting downloaded in Apple mail.

Your problem looks a bit peculiar so I would suggest you not to please expect a very fool-proof solution at the very first attempt. We will have to make your system and application undergo a few tests and changes and follow the trial and error mode of troubleshooting. Hurry will spoil everything so I would suggest you to be please very patient and simply concentrate and perform on what me and other beloved co-posters. For now I want you to check the mail preference. For which you need to meticulously follow a set of steps.
    • First and foremost, you need to open the very application which is giving you this unwanted trouble. Open the Apple Mail application
    • Once you are into it, you might come across a number of menus from which you’ve got to chose Mail
    • Under the mail menu, again you might encounter some more submenus, out of which ‘Preferences’ is what you should be preferring
    • This selection is supposed to be followed by clicking ‘General button resulting into a pop up
    • This pop us is nothing but the ‘Default email reader software’ if you happen to see something else, you need to review your path
    • Here, you are definite to come across a number of options to select from and you need to check the one selected.
    That is nothing but the mail preference check that I was talking about. If this is fine or not, let me know.

I would rather ask you to reconfigure your gmail account with your system. I am sure, you will want to know how to go about this, so I am helping you out with this. I hope it helps
    1. The first and the basic step would be to follow the above step and reach the preferences tab.
    2. After clicking on which you will come across another tab called ‘Accounts’ and by clicking the + button, one can add a new account
    3. You will need to fill in the below given information in the window that pops out. Make sure, it’s right .
    o Full name: here you need to right your full name, which will include your last name too
    o Email Address: here, write the entire email id that you use and you need to configure. This can be either of the following:
    i. Username@gmail.com, incase what you are using is a basic gmail id
    ii. username@domain-name.com in case, what you are using is a gmail application and you have a customized email id.
    o Password: no, you needn;t worry about the security of the password. Enter it very safely and go to the next text field to go ahead with the data entry thing
    o A very important note: you need to deselect or uncheck the checkbox, 'Automatically set up account’
    4. Now, in order to create an account on Apple mail, click on the button which reads ‘Create’. This will create an account of your configuration choice.
    5. Having entered the basic and personal information ask you can easily go ahead with entering the Incoming mail server information
    o Account type: the first field asks you to select the type of account. Now, here, you have no option but to select ‘IMAP’
    o Incoming Mail Server: this might be showing a very different default entry which is definitely not what you are looking for, change it to imap.gmail.com
    o Email Address: here, write the entire email id that you use and you need to configure. This can be either of the following:
    i. Username@gmail.com, incase what you are using is a basic gmail id
    ii. username@domain-name.com in case, what you are using is a gmail application and you have a customized email id.
    o Password: again you need to enter your basic gmail password which you use to access your account
    6. Then to continue with the account creation process in a more efficient and secure way you need to click ‘Continue’ which will lead you to another window
    7. You have recently entered the details which specifies the outgoing mail server information
    o Outgoing mail server: here, you need to enter the name of the outgoing mail server which will be ‘smtp.gmail.com’
    o Use Authentication: this checkbox asks you if you want the application to use authentication, I am sure you want to. So simply select it
    o User name: this as both the above conditions can be either of the cases, you need to select one from both
    o Password: again as mentioned above and as multiple layers of security, you need to enter your gmail password
    8. Now, in order to go ahead with the process, you will need to click on the button which reads ‘Continue’
    9. Recheck and review the entire Account summary that will be provided, post clicking on the continue button
    10. You are now done with the entire account creation process and what you next need to do is a simple click on the ‘Create’ button and there you go
    The solution to your issue is hopefully provided with the effort that I tried making.

I would recommend you check the following client settings and make necessary changes as that might solve your issue as well
    - Now, as both the other posters recommended you to do, click on the mail menu from the menu bar of the application
    - Click on the preferences button which should possibly prompt you with another set of tabs to click from
    - Click on the tab which reads Accounts as that is all that we are concerned about at the moment.
    - In order to check, review and edit the behavior of the mailbox, click on the tab which promptly reads ‘Mailbox behaviors’.
    - Now, out here, in order that your system works fine, you need to check the following settings and make changes as rightly recommended.
     Drafts: Store Draft messages on the server: Do not check the accompanied checkbox close to it
     Sent: Store sent messages on the server : Do not check the accompanied checkbox close to it
     Junk: Store junk messages on the server : check the accompanied checkbox close to it
    Delete junk messages when: Select the text ‘Never’ from the text+combo that pops out on clicking on the options
     Trash: Move deleted messages to the Trash mailbox: Do not check the accompanied checkbox close to it
    Store deleted messages on the server: : Do not check the accompanied checkbox close to it

I am extremely sorry for the delay in my reply this was because of an unexpected outing. Hadriel, I totally understand the situation that you are talking about and I am patient enough to wait for the most perfect solution that is going to work nothing less than perfect for me. And as you asked, the preference looks perfectly as expected.
    Aadidev, I have reconfigured the entire thing but I don’t think it helped me much. I just got a freshly configured mail app is the only benefit I yielded. Elazar, the settings recommendation that you kindly suggested are set according to your wish too, still the issues looks unsolved. Now what? Any more solutions, you can think of?
    One small assistance that I need from your end apart from this as of now is to please guide me through the process of enabling IMAP or switching between both

It is unfortunate and disappointing to hear from you that none of the solutions that our experts tried suggesting worked. So, I would like to help you with the IMAP-POP switching you asked for. Please follow the below given steps which enlists the steps to switch between both the IMAP-POP options that we were talking about:
     The following steps will basically list down the steps to enable IMAP which is nothing but unabling POP
    • Sign into the gmail account that you were talking about and have been reported to have been giving trouble lately
    • Select the gear icon on the upper-right corner of the screen. It looks like a gear or maybe a bolt
    • When you click on the gear icon , you will see a set of options dropping down, awaiting your click, now, click on the settings button
    • Here, you will again come across a number of options from which you need to click the ‘Forward and POP/IMAP’ button
    • Out of the options that you now come across, you are expected to click on the ‘Enable IMAP’ button which will as the name suggests enable IMAP
    • You can then click on the ‘Save Changes’ button and apply whatever changes you just did
     The following changes, after the ‘Forward and POP/IMAP’ will change it to POP.
    • You need to select the Enable POP for all mail or enable POP for mail that arrives now on for POP to be enabled.
    • After that, you can select what you want the POP client to do with the messages that are received.

I have a solution, that is yet to be discussed here. I am not at all sure, if this is going to work by any chance. But in the panicky situation which you are in, you should probably be giving the given solution a try, you never know it might simply solve it for you. It won’t have any negative effect for you, so give it a humble try.
    Initially, you need to safe boot our system, for safe booting, what you should be doing is hold the shift key down and keep it that way while booting up. This will try repairing the disk directory when the radian will be spinning let that happen. Also, run Disk utility by following the path: Applications> Utilities, after which you should be highlighting your drive and then click on the Repair Permission prompt that’ll you will come across. You might see some files and folders then, move these folders and files to the desktop
    Also move the below given files and folders to the desktop using simple cut paste operation that will definitely work

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Caches/Mail/ AND /Users/YourUserName/Library/Mail/Envelope Index

Reboot the system for the changes to be applied and the issue to hopefully resolved!