Thread: Is there a Web based Steam chat Client?

Is there a Web based Steam chat Client?

I don’t know whether this topic has been already discussed here or not but I didn’t see any thread regarding this over here. I always like to keep in touch with my steam friends. So I have to install steam and chat from there. It is normal and everyone knows about it. But while I am in office I cannot chat with my steam friends because it is not allowed to install steam client in an office laptop. So it would be very easy, if there is a web (Flash, Java or similar) based chat client exist for the steam. Is there?

Re: Is there a Web based Steam chat Client?

I was also looking for the same thing for steam but I didn’t get even a single result regarding this. I have to install steam client in my computer in order to deal with my steam friends. There is no other way you can contact them unless providing your personal id for them. However it is not always easy and not without risk. You cannot trust at all. It is really shame that steam didn’t provide something useful for web user. Every time and everywhere installing a steam client is not practical.

I would very much like a web browser better than the one currently in the steam, and I know that can be run without significant decrease in performance. I wonder if there is a way to change it and if there is also a way to integrate a chat client as well. Any suggestions?

The steam is just meant for distributing games over the NETWORK. Recently they have introduced community features to their service. I know that members of their community always want to get in touch with other members in places. It would have been useful, if they have provided more services beyond the steam client but due to have a responsibility to their members and due to security concerns, they have not decided to bring an external chat facility. So it makes sense with both cons and pros.

Steam uses a WebKit based browser , It has a same engine which you can see in Chrome and Safari. It was chosen over Trident (IE technology) because of cross-platform compatibility. There is no way you can change this as i think . Overlay chat is available via Steam social characteristics. Although it is not very convenient, you can access many chat networks through web apps.

Xfire as well as PlayXpert web browsers present as part of steam in-game overlay. There is also the in-game Rogue browser. Xfire offers a video preview. We all hope that the tabbed browsing and offer more features than steam, although it is difficult to say if they meet expectations. Both also sent via chat clients. Raptr is the game overlay supports AIM and I XChat provides an addon for this purpose. I would try Raptr first. Nowadays any web browser can support AIM Express. It is an official AIM client-based browser.