Thread: Internet Explorer have stopped tracking history

Internet Explorer have stopped tracking history

I recently came across a new issue with my IE. It has suddenly stopped tracking history. Win7 x86is my OS and this is giving great trouble to me.
    It shows all the history of about two weeks ago. But it’s just not updating the recent ones. All it shows is entries for RSS feeds and pages on my local intranet. I tried everything a non-tech savvy can think of. It’s time for a more expert advice, I guess.

Any suggestions?

Re: Internet Explorer have stopped tracking history

That was a good decision indeed. Anyways, wanted to clear one thing before I could give you any suggestion. Is this happening with all users or one particular user?

If it’s with just one user, simply recreate his local profile, that would be enough to fix it.

Else, let me know.

Another solution to this would be to log into another profile and delete C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History. This will fix your problem for sure.
    Maybe, your history is overloaded and it needs a clean up

I tried it long ago. And as you said, it does fix my problem immediately and things just work perfect but only for a period of time.

See, I have configured my IE to keep history for 20 days. It was just more than fine for a considerable amount of time till I ran into this problem lately.

Carita Carlos, It’s just me, local profile and there are no other users using this PC.

Hey, 20 days is more than 2 weeks right? Why don’t you try reducing the days? As in, make it lesser than 2 weeks. Some, 10 days or so.

Please take care to find out the size of your History.IE5\index.dat files. Both, the normal ones and the new Low one. Daily history is merged as a week’s history after Sunday midnight. Keep a watch of this too.

The size of History.IE5 is something below 2 MB, and the one in Low is about 15 MB. Clearing the history have made it start working again as I mentioned before but the size of the image still seems the same.

I don’t know how big it should be or when they are expected to become unreliable. But it appears that History.IE5 folder was created on 7/23 which is the last time I tried fixing this issue. Which means, I can expect things to be fine for next 2 weeks atleast.

I use IE a lot, not only for web browsing but it's the client for our document management software. Still, it seems like I should be able to keep 3 weeks worth of history without any issues. And it worked in IE8
    Before clearing the history, it appeared that the modified date on the index.dat would change when updating RSS feeds but not when browsing, consistent with the fact that it was tracking the feeds but not web sites.

Any thoughts on the size of those Index.dat files?

RSS feeds will be archived directly into the high index.dat, along with other local files? Do you have many RSS feeds? Are you using AutoComplete for them?
    One way to compare them would be to do a cd with the path for shell:History then do:
    find "Visited:" History.IE5\index.dat | find /i "rss"
    and
    find "Visited:" Low\History.IE5\index.dat | find /i "rss"

I think, your low one gets to the ending point of the algorithm which is the culprit and leaves it in a corrupted state.
    The solution to this would be to simply set your ‘Protected Mode’ setting to Off.