Thread: IE 8 get automatically installed from automatic updates without admin rights

IE 8 get automatically installed from automatic updates without admin rights

I have several system connected through a network, and all of them are running windows XP SP3. Yesterday when I checked out all of them I noticed that two of them have installed Internet Explorer 8 automatically from Automatic updates.

Now the most interesting thing is that this browser has been installed through Automatic updates without even admin login. Can anyone let me know how this happened? I am completely shocked, please.

Re: IE 8 get automatically installed from automatic updates without admin rights

I guess first of all you should know that both internet explorer 8 web browser and windows XP OS are the products offered by Microsoft. So obviously if you are having a system which is running a Microsoft product, they are bound to offer you their other products too. In clear words if you are doing an Automatic updates Internet explorer 8 and 9 would be definitely offered to you through the automatic update without even having user interaction especially manual interaction.

But if you say that the browser was installed without the admin login then definitely there might be some other related issue. as I am not sure whether there is anything to do with the admin right for the automatic updates.

Re: IE 8 get automatically installed from automatic updates without admin rights

You need to read the new Microsoft policy, as according to new internet explorer Automatic updates policy both the internet explorer 8 and internet explorer 9 can be downloaded and installed in your system without getting the permission from the admin or requiring the admin to login.

if not this then surely the issue is something else, there might be something wrong with your those two systems as the problem of automatic installation has been encountered only in those two PCs.

Same issue with our school PCs too. Few of the systems in our schools are having the same IE8 automatic installation issue. the problem is that those PCs are for teachers and obviously teachers are bound to store certain data in their machines and if in future anything happens to those PCs, it might be a huge loss for that person. Other thing is that most of our school PCs are only able to with IE7 or lower version and not above that range as it creates problem then, so therefore automatic installation of IE8 is definitely going to cause a huge head ache. Currently we are receiving a huge number of calls from the teachers reporting about unable to access student’s details and information.

Have you ever tried to check out the update log? You can do one thing try to get windowsupdate.log from amongst one of those problematic PCs that auto updates and auto installs IE8 and then post the log over here if possible. Only then I would be able to help you out.

Is there IE8 Blocker Toolkit installed or any hidden IE8 in windows update?

Is there IE8 Blocker Toolkit installed or any hidden IE8 in windows update?
    No we have not yet installed Internet explorer 8 Blocker Toolkit neither we have any hidden IE8 in windows update. It’s because according to our understanding what we think is that our users are not having any admin rights, so surely it will help prevent the system from any kind of upgrade or updates done by them.

I personally manage the updates, and I manage them with WSUS within our boundaries. But still there are number of systems that are even today being accessed from outside the boundaries and are unmanaged. Unfortunately those PCs have Automatic updates enabled directly from Microsoft

Once I did have a conversation with a Microsoft representative, the response I got was quite positive. They said that currently Automatic updates are being worked intentionally by Microsoft.

But then even i mentioned that in the new IE automatic update police they has specified that admin rights will be definitely required for the installation, therefore the end users without having any proper rights will never be able to surpass the browser IT rules. The representative was unable to clarify. Seems like even Microsoft has started lying, they are breaking their own customer’s trust.

I doubt whether ever Microsoft has able to provide a better documentation to their customer. Even my case is the same, currently I am forced to uninstall IE8 manually on all of my network systems that has installed this application without admin permission. I would have better installed IE8 Blocker toolkit.

Other thing is that most of our school PCs are only able to with IE7 or lower version and not above that range as it creates problem then, so therefore automatic installation of IE8 is definitely going to cause a huge head ache. Currently we are receiving a huge number of calls from the teachers reporting about they unable to access students details and information.
    I have something to tell as in your reply, you can do one thing, just add the desired web site that you like or need to access with the IE7 in IE8 compatibility view list.

Internet explorer 8 will definitely be offered on windows XP automatic update continuously until and unless you have rejected it previously or you have installed a BlockerTool. In my case I never thought to go for either of the option believing that IE8 will be however automatically be blocked due to admin not logged in on the respective system, but I was completely wrong.

rajni Guest

But then even i mentioned that in the new IE automatic update policy they has specified that admin rights will be definitely required for the installation, therefore the end users without having any proper rights will never be able to surpass the browser IT rules. The representative was unable to clarify. Seems like even microsoft has started lying, they are breaking their own customer’s trust.
    After reading out your post I can only make 3 possibilities:
    • If whatever you mentioned about the new IE automatic update policy is correct then surely there is something wrong with the system.
    • Maybe the article is misunderstood that indicates the admin rights; they should be somehow added in the new policy
    • Or else microsoft articles are not correct and also they do not match the policy