Thread: Knowing about Opera:Config

Knowing about Opera:Config

Hope the title itself must have given you the exact idea about me making this thread. Anyways I having lots of doubts regarding this opera:config.

The first thing is that what exactly it means. I have seen in many of the threads where people give it as a solution but never mention what exactly it does and what it means. Is there anyone who can explain me everything about this term?

Re: Knowing about Opera:Config

If you need not know anything about this term then why don’t you at least try it out in the browser? I mean to say that why don’t you copy the term and then past it in the URL block. There was a time when even I use to think about it a lot but once when I tried in the opera browser what I got was a Preference Editor appeared on the screen. Sometimes we are supposed to enable or disable some of the settings that are present on the Preference Editor which somehow sorts out most of your issues. Do try it out, remember you need to open it on Opera browser only and not on some other browser as other browser won’t be opening it.

I don’t understand why such useful and the most important resource are hidden. Trust me I have noticed one thing, you know I can’t find the name of this resource mentioned anywhere else other than some of the threads.

Yeah even I agree with you, I always have this thing in my mind. A normal user believes that the Preference settings available in the browser Menu cover everything which is not correct. And also having the discovered Preference editor I always imagine whether everything is visibly documented somewhere in the HELP Section. People always believe menu Settings -> Preferences can easily get you the solution. Why don’t they just keep everything in the help option?

I really wanted to let all the users to know about the importance of the opera:config file resource.

rajni Guest

Opera:config is actually is a webpage which is integrated and used to configure the operaprefs.ini settings, for this we need to go to the opera:config. In this pera:config you will most probably find all the settings of the operaprefs.ini that can be easily edited by the user manually. And also there are some of the settings which are suppose to restart the opera.

There are also some of the list which actually links directly to the opera:config settings when available. These links will only be able to work in opera and not on the other browsers.

Before knowing anything about the opera:config it is necessary for you to first know about the operaprefs.ini. operaprefs.ini is the first initialization file for opera. Especially a settings file which actually specifies almost all the users preferences and requirements. This file gets automatically save and modified once alter are modify your preferences and priorities within the opera user interface. There is one easiest way to see the place or location of the operaprefs.ini and other opera files in your computer, the way is to go to HELP > About Opera.

You know you can also edit the operaprefs.ini file directly but for that you need to close the opera, yeah the editing should never be performed keep the opera running.

I seriously don’t know why they keep this resource hidden. I came to know about this thing when I was facing an issue regarding the speeddial. When searched I noticed that there was nothing mentioned about it in the help section. In fact I got the solution by the preference editor which said that I need to change an obscure parameter speedDial state which is buried in the user preference section.

The only 3 things that I wanted is:
    • To let the opera users know about this hidden resource
    • To request developer that it should be documented in the HELP
    • And integrated with the evident Settings/Preferences menu

It’s been recommended that the customized version of the operaprefs.ini be stored in the opera directory, it is actually the first place where the opera will look for the settings files. If you really wanted to run multiple version of opera with different settings or you have multiple sets of different settings for the same version.

The operaprefs.ini is by default placed in the user directory.

I would like to give to certain advice while editing the operaprefs.ini which I personally feel is very much important. They are as follows:
    Make a backup of your original operaprefs.ini before editing
    Be careful; Do not change a setting if you are not familiar with what it does

If you delete your settings file, a new one will be generated when you start Opera, but all previous settings will then be gone