Thread: I want to change the directory of Chrome which is installed in Documents and Settings?

I want to change the directory of Chrome which is installed in Documents and Settings?

I was previously making use of default browser internet explorer but I found that the Google chrome has great features so I installed the Google chrome , but I found that it was installed in Documents and Settings and I will like to alter that to Program Files. So what’s the process to do the same.

Re: I want to change the directory of Chrome which is installed in Documents and Settings?

Hello guys, this is simple procedure and all you have to do is, after the installation finishes, the 'Welcome to Google Chrome' dialog box will tend to come in view. You need to click the Start Google Chrome button so that you are able to end the default installation or else you need to have a click on the Customize these settings link to select exact installation alternatives.

Re: I want to change the directory of Chrome which is installed in Documents and Settings?

Most of guys have this issue but , the fact is that the default location of Google Chrome installation from site will tend to Documents and Settings plus there is no alternative to change this . and if you want to download in program files you need to take care that at the time of downloading Google Chrome from Google Pack, you are downloading a system-wide version . and this will tend to download in program files.

I have some more steps in this case. Let chrome install itself as it desires. You need to close the chrome.
    • Cut the "Google" folder as of from user\appdata\local\ folder along with try to paste it in your desired folder.
    • You need to open the command prompt feature from the start menu.
    • Try to Type this one. : mklink /J "C:\say something \user\appdata\local\Google" "D:\folder name \Google"
    • After Pressing enter, you will receive a success message.
    • On the initial set up of Chrome after this shift I got driven that the preference file was ruined, but it merely occurs this time. later you are able to import your data from your former browser and moreover it will tend to work well in your case.

I have made some attempts to locate out a key to free up space in the Chrome Installation Drive.
    • Google Chrome auto-updates by itself as well as stores all the editions of chrome in the subsequent directory in my system :-
    • C:\Documents and Settings\<computer_work>\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application
    • And to add further in this topic, to free up space i made some deletion of every previous editions of Chrome. I indicate i made a deletion of the entire directories with the names as earlier Chrome editions. You are able to do this job every now and then, to free up vast space by deleting the earlier older editions .

I lastly found a fractional way out. make use of the Pack alternative, and previous to you download mount the partition or directory you wish for to install to in Program Files. You need to just unmount the directory after installing. It has a few slight technical problems and varies by Operating System, but for a majority of part it works well .

If you are finding some issue with doing so up till now, try with this case.
    • Copy C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google to new target
    • You need to rename C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google to Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\GoogleOLD
    • make use of mklink in command prompt so that you are able to create a hard link to new location . hope this helps.

I don’t understand why the google has created such a mess. Why Google is not able to offer a option during install - basic or else advanced - like almost every other software corporation offers. ?in addition , Google Pack is not able to install Chrome when the Proxy needs verification.

possibly momentary or even permanent way out is to make an installation of "SRWare Iron" browser which is built from the similar source code as Google Chrome but by means of the Google Updater removed and the aptitude to install wherever you prefer. Just keep in mind to make an update of it yourself. I've been making use of it for most of time without any harms.