Thread: SQL files is empty after exporting via phpMyAdmin

SQL files is empty after exporting via phpMyAdmin

I have started a new Server and trying to learn it. Actually I am having a question about having some common characteristics in server admin Forum. As my site contain a huge database almost of 900 MB which I want to take backup by exporting the data from phpMyAdmin. But I have a problem doing that as when I exported the sql file it gets download pretty fast and the file size is 0 Bytes. So I am just thinking as if there is a big database it cannot be downloaded without doing some setting in the server. I do have root access but I don’t know if there need to be done any kind of setting as I am a newbie. And yes after that I also tried to take backup by using SSH commands as by using this it workers properly until the time where we have to write the database at that time it gives and error stating “can’t write to folder”. So guys please try and help me out.

Re: SQL files is empty after exporting via phpMyAdmin

I think you have a right permission set on the folder. As 2 days before when I tried to load a 2 MB SQL file by using phpMyAdmin it was getting hang again and again. Actually I also have a question can anyone let me know how many tables database contain and can we export them one by one?

I think you have not selected all the tables while you were exporting the database via phpMyAdmin. As if you have root access they why don’t you try using command to take backup.
    mysqldump -u root -p thepassword --all-databases | gzip > backup.sql.gz
    By using this command you would be able to take a backup on your root folder.

Thank you guys for trying to help you. But let me tell you that phpMyAdmin don’t work with my database. As I think as the database it too big to take backup by using phpMyAdmin as it is 900MB. It worked as I tried SSH commands to take backup and it worked as I took the SQL file in the root folder but I was not able to understand how did it worked. Mysqldump file has size of only 225MB but the database of my site is as I have mention before also it is 900MB. Let me tell you what I did as I have not specify a path as I just added a filename due to which a SQL file would be created in the root. And then I just logged in to the server via SFTP to check the file and download it. That time I came to know that the file was written in /home/myusername/ directory.

I think you would have taken a compress backup so it is showing you small file size which is almost ¼ of the database. And about your other question I would say it is normally this way only as the location you have mentioned would be the location of your home directory so while connecting to SSH command it would take you to /home/username