Thread: Want to stream locally (LAN/WiFi) and over the Internet with no restrictions...

Want to stream locally (LAN/WiFi) and over the Internet with no restrictions...

It's pretty sad that I would have to pose what is quite the "general" question IMO. Please bare with me as you read this:

I have an Apple Time Capsule which acts as my main router but it's not exactly a "streamer" in any sense, is it? When I travel, can I use it stream to wherever I am? I do not have cable (as in TV) anymore (and good riddens to the bill, too! ), but I have a nice broadband connection with 5Mbps upload speeds. One 1080p stream shouldn't take more than 2-2.5Mbps, should it?

I just ordered a Roku 2 XS, because I couldn't turn down what can only be described as a steal. lol...So my Netflix and Hulu Plus, etc., subscriptions will be fine, but can I stream over it? In this case, I mean on my local LAN?

To complicate things even further, I also got one of the latest Pogoplug devices (the one with the two USB 3.0 ports), and I'm also thinking of getting a WD Live Plus HD box from Western Digital.

My content sits on a Pegasus 4TB and 4TB WD RAID drive, which also do not stream anywhere, but I would think that's where the Time Capsule comes in?

Bottom Line once again: I want to stream both locally on my network as well as remotely. When I had TV, I used a SlingBox, which worked great, but like I said, it's all IP TV anymore for me, so please someone help. ;-)

Thanks!!!
    Late-2011 17" MacBook Pro Core i7-2860QM | 16GB DDR3 RAM | 4th gen. Time Capsule | Apple TV 2nd gen.

Re: Want to stream locally (LAN/WiFi) and over the Internet with no restrictions...

Man, you have a lots of devices. The answer to your query is yes you can stream your content locally and on wifi also. It depends on the software you use. As you have Apple Time capsule, then I will recommend you to get a good Media Center. The most simple and widely used is VLC. It is best for streaming media online as well as offline. A media server can be handy for you. If you host the same on IP then you can access your content from anywhere you want.

How to create a VLC Media Server