Thread: PDF application/Plug-in might have broken in Safari 5.1.2

PDF application/Plug-in might have broken in Safari 5.1.2

Usually I open PDF files in Safari and it was fine with it. I really love the feature and addicted to it. I never downloaded any pdf files, if I want anything I can read it directly by opening in my browser. But now it just went mad on Apple OS10.7. I have tried to download the latest update for safari but it did not solve the problem. Even after many settings tried and update, I can only see gray page on safari.
    • MacBookPro
    • apple os 10.7.2
    • Safari 5.1.2
    • Adobe reader 10.1.1

Furthermore the safari browser not listing the Adobe plugin after the update. What is the solution to this (long standing) problem?

Re: PDF application/Plug-in might have broken in Safari 5.1.2

I think that you haven’t updated to Safari 5.1.2 yet. Check it properly. The latest version of Safari5.1.2 web browser for Mac OS X poses no significant developments but it does provide the solution to errors that some users were experiencing, namely:
    • Improved stability
    • Troubleshooting causing crashes and excessive memory use
    • Troubleshooting that caused web pages remain blank
    • To display PDF within web content

As you see, it also included at last viewing of PDF documents from the Web. As always it is a recommended update for all users,

I have trouble viewing PDFs in Safari. Supposedly this update (5.1.2) solves that problem, but, at least in my case, it has been. So far I have resorted to "PDF Browser Plugin" but I prefer the Safari browser and it bothers me not work. I tried with another user and that works fine. So, the problem is in my username. I disabled the plugin from Adobe, I deleted preferences, I deleted and reinstalled Safari, but nothing.

Theoretically it is not Quicktime dealing with PDF, but Preview.

You have installed or changed anything on the PDF and / or plug-in Internet, for some time?

Use the Disk Utility to repair permissions on the hard drive, and then reboot the Mac, and re-tries to view a PDF in Safari

I think this has nothing to do with this special update, because for me it's been so long. There must be a setting somewhere that I know not because I was disturbed this behavior before. From a security standpoint I can understand that an automatic download is not configured as a standard. Perhaps we cannot turn off for this reason.

As far as I know that the "WebKit built-in PDF" plug-in is something that is not meant for the safari browser. The reason behind this is, it does not capable to handle the actionscripts (flash) and javascripts pdfs embedded in the frame. It is somewhat similar to using the default browser for ISO html which does not support no javascript or any other kind of scripting language.

In any case, it seems that the Adobe Reader plugin still having problems with Safari 5.1.2.

Consequently - since everything works fine for me - I can only imagine that the reader is not completely removed with you and clean.

In any case you should still look at your user folder, specifically search the folder "/ Library / Application Support" and "/ Library / Preferences" on the file bodies. The same folder should be there again on the "MacintoshHD". There I would also delete all times, that has to do with the Reader. However, since the entire Adobe stuff like wild times throughout Hirsch rubs, you should make sure that you delete anything that looks like the flash player. What files are now in detail to, I cannot say things.

I had the problem that I have resolved by removing the preferences file for Safari that was in the Preferences folder in my user folder. The file plugin AdobePDFViewer.plugin had previously removed without success. Indeed, I suspect Acrobat Reader 10 to be responsible for the problem; since it has joined the trash.