Thread: Open PDF embedded in a frame using Safari 5.1 on Snow leopard

Open PDF embedded in a frame using Safari 5.1 on Snow leopard

Recently I have updated the safari browser from 5.05 to 5.1. I own a macbook running snow leopard. The problem is after the update, whenever I try to open PDF page embedded in a frame, the browser only downloads it to the computer but it will display on the screen or page. In previous version of safari, it was opening properly and showing right away. Does anyone familiar with this problem?

Re: Open PDF embedded in a frame using Safari 5.1 on Snow leopard

It seems to me that you have downloaded or might have installed any third party plug-ins to view the PDF file or page on safari. As far as I know that you do not need any kind of plug-ins or something for a browser to show PDF files. You only need to install the Adobe Acrobat reader plugin. I had also encountered the same problem. I have installed the "AdobePDFViewer.plugin" for my safari browser. After that only, the problem was solved.

I think that either you are installing new, or you activate the "Open safe files after download" in the settings. Then the pdf after the load is automatically displayed with the preview. Also Try doing repair permissions and then we'll see. In case you may need to initialize safari.

Applications -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> select Macintosh HD on the left and click on Repair permissions.

You must go on hd / library / internet plugins that's where the acrobat reader plugin. In the first fact you need to use external plugins like Acrobat Reader or the PDF excellent browser, free, works great, and is better than AR for web browsers, if you have Safari opens the pdf directly to the inside using the "engine "preview. I think you've missed out the above plugins.

That sounds to my ears precisely as an Adobe Reader problem. Safari 5.1.2 works well for everyone with Adobe Reader installed, so the conclusion seems clear to me.

I still think there is something more going on with PDF processed since the last upgrade of Safari. PDF files which previously were easily opened in Safari, I noticed that this is no longer the case with so-called portfolio PDF (multiple files within a PDF file combined). A single PDF is opened. Even with PDF input forms Safari cannot handle. These works are again using the PC's sake! I still do not know who pulls a trick here: Mac, Safari or Adobe. The system used for work is affected, OSX, iMac and IOS, iPhone do different things ... All tricky. Wonder if anyone has more experiences, or maybe even real solutions can bring.

From the past few days I am having the problem that Safari does not display .Pdf files anymore. If i open a page that references a .Pdf file, It asked; select the Acrobat Reader, which is to be used for viewing. Oddly enough, I cannot select preview in a program? It is also strange that Safari forgets the setting. I Want to see pdf file anyhow. In the Safari settings, no point is found yet. Also in the system settings I cannot find anything.

Here what I did in my Snow leopard:
    • Open "System Preferences"
    • Click on "Default Applications"
    • Select "Document Types"
    • The column on the left, wheel it to PDF and see that whether the program is associated or not. For example, I use Adobe Reader 8. Try to associate Preview of OSX and see if you like 'Safari opens them to you.

I think that the link which you are trying to open leads to a page but NOT to a PDF file

Maybe you have the "PDF viewer" inside the browser "old" and therefore incompatible ... try updating the plug-in or extension it.

I have different settings for which the PDFs I download them and it displays them within the browser so it works with all versions of every browser.

Look in your user folder "/ Library / Internet Plugins", whether because of what's inside Adobe. Look elsewhere in the system library (your HD / Library / Internet Plugins), because the component should still be in there. The solution for me was the folder "system library (your HD / Library / Internet Plugins)" restore with Time Machine (from a date prior to the installation of Acrobat)

Now everything works again with preview.

I hope I could help.

If Safari does not open PDF files, possibly the browser plug-ins are disabled. Please start Safari and hit the top right of the Action menu with the gear icon and choose Preferences. In the new window must be under the security control box in front of the option "Enable plug-ins" must be selected with check mark. To see which plugins currently uses Safari, click on the Safari menu bar, click Help and then click Installed Plugins.