Thread: safari 5.1 unable to connect to server

safari 5.1 unable to connect to server

Initially I was using internet explorer for accessing internet. But it didn’t satisfy me the way I wanted. Later on I switched on to the latest browser safari 5.1, but still not yet started working on it. Because whenever I try to connection and open up the browser, it gives me an error message “Cannot connect to the server”. I kept Google as my default homepage. Is there anything to do with the default page? Or else my internet connection has some problem?

Re: safari 5.1 unable to connect to server

It can be a minor problem. I think you browser has been infected by the malware; you must have downloaded and installed it ago. Just check it out and if found don’t try to trash it, keep it as it is. For your information, the download possibly called as Flashplayer.pkg. Now If you remember the name of the site from where you downloaded it then don’t hesitate to trash it away so as you will not have to run it again.

Better you launch the network utility application. And in the utility application you need to select the Ping tab, then after going into the Ping type “ www.google.co.in “,in the web address you replace the end part. I mean to say that you write it as per your country example: in, uk, us etc. and then press enter. Remember to enter the web address in the address field without having the quotes.
    After doing it let me know the result, only then I can tell you exact problem. Waiting for your reply.

I have two possible options for your problem. Don’t go on to try both the options one after the other. First try out the first one where you need to throw the cookie.plist files to trash. For doing this you need to go to ~, this option represents you Home folder.

~ > Library > Cookies

After going to the cookies, you need to move all the cookies.plist files to the trash. Then quite the browser and re launch it, this should your browser but if this didn’t work then simple try out the second option where you need to go to Preference option present in the same Library folder:

~ > Library > Preference

After entering the preference option moves all the com. Apple.safari.plist files to the Desktop. After moving them quite the browser and then re launch it again as told in the first option. If the second option help or works then after re launching the browser the first thing you need to do is to move the plist files to the trash. Hope this solves your problem.

Sorry friend I can’t find any cookies folder in the Library option. I searched it everywhere, in fact searched it through spotlight. There the only cookies folder returned was lastly modified on June 2011.
    I thing I have a cable.virginmedia.net. Is there something that my Google requests are hijacked? I am running LION which returns the things back and for that reason I can’t see the hosts file.

If you can’t find the Library option, I will help you out with the alternate option. There are two libraries, one is the root Library and other one is your Home folder. You Home folder is represented with the ~ symbol.

First Open the Finder Window.
    Select Home folder present in the sidebar on the left.
    Open the Library folder
    Click on the cookies folder

You can do the same for the ~ > Library > Preferences for moving all the com.apple.safari.plist to the desktop.

What could be the numerical IP address of your DNS server? I am not a LION user, so whenever I don’t get any hosts file which I kept somewhere, I become totally unaware where is could be but I am very much sure that it is somewhere.
    About the hijacking question, I would say yes there are possibility that your google requests has been hacked and i think there have to be no reason for person doing so.

Don’t doubt my friend; it’s for sure that your google requests have been hijacked. You don’t have to do anything with the browser.
    In the system Preference open the network Preference pane and click on the advanced button. Then select the DNS tab in the sheet that will open after opening the network preference. Then get the address of your DNS server. Then later on launch the TextEdit application and then select FILE > OPEN. Then in the open file dialog box navigate to the top level of your startup volume. Then use the combination of the keys command-option-period. Now all the files that are invisible will began to visible or appear in the dialog box. Then at the end navigate to private/ host and click open.

All the instruction given to me regarding the TextEdit is not working. What should I do now? As I saw that almost two of you people have asked for DNS server address. But I am scared to mention my DNS address on the post as it seems too private for me to reveal. But anyhow if it’s going to help me then definitely I will be posting it. Here’s my DNS server address: 10.0.1.1.

The address you mentioned is the address for your router. For the DNS server IP address just open the settings the find the address of the public DNS servers present in it.
    And don’t hastate to reveal your information if it’s been asked for your well sake.

TextEdit should have worked properly. But anyways if the TextEdit didn’t work at all what you can do is launch the Terminal application and copy or drag the text mention below:

cat /etc/hosts

Then press enter. Remember not to type the above text, do as said, copy or drag. Look out the output appearing then quit the terminal.