Thread: CPU usage is high while using Safari Web browser

Arrow CPU usage is high while using Safari Web browser

I am using Apple safari browser for browsing internet. I am having problem with my Safari browser. My browser lags when multiple tabs are open. I check the CPU usage it was more than 90% for me this is not a minor issue, it's not acceptable. Please help me to solve this problem. I am using Mac OS X 10.7

Re: CPU usage is high while using Safari Web browser

I am having the exact same problem with my Safari browser. When I open new tab on Safari browser or open new link then my browser lags. The CPU usage is in range between 90%- 100%. Now I am very frustrated. Please help me. Does anyone know how to solve this?

The performance of browser is mostly depends on the RAM memory. How much RAM is installed in your laptop? For safari browser about 2 GB ram is allocated. I am using 12 GB of RAM. The CPU usage in my laptop is 5%-10% during browsing on Safari browser. So it is recommended that Increase your RAM. After installing huge RAM memory the performance of safari browser will increase.

The CPU usage is more if you open more no of tabs. Or if large no of extensions are installed in your browser. Also check for no. of plugins installed in your browser. Large no of Plug-ins, extinctions are required More CPU and RAM usage. So uninstall unwanted extension and plug-ins from your browser this may help you to increase the performance of the browser.

This steps will you to solve your problem:-
    • Quit Safari
    • go to Finder
    • User Library
    • Cache
    • com.Apple.Safari folder
    • move the Cache.db file to trash
    • Finder menu
    • secure empty trash
    • Restart Safari browser.

This may because of the large no of extensions installed in your browser. So it is highly recommended that to uninstall unusable extensions from the browser. You can disable these extensions by with these steps:-
    • Open Safari Preferences
    • Extensions
    • Click on extension
    • Uncheck the “enable” box
    • Restart Safari.

There are several third party extensions are available to download on internet. These third party extensions may cause this problem. Such extensions are not recommended to install in the Safari browser. If you are using trusted extension then only use updated version of the extension. So upgrade your plug-ins and extensions. As well as remove cache from the browser.

I am using Firefox in my computer. I open large no of tabs but the CPU usage is only 50%-60% in my computer. I like Firefox browser. It works fine for me. This browser runs smoothly. So I recommend you to use Firefox browser which is better than the Safari browser.

My CPU usage is more than 95% always using Safari browser. Normally my CPU usage is less than 20%. But I start safari browser then the CPU usage suddenly increased to more than 95%. No problem with the Firefox browser. But I am loyal user of the Safari. I am using safari browser more than two years. So please help me to clear this problem.

For better performance and less CPU usage:-
    • Disable unused Extensions.
    • Disable unused Plug-ins
    • Delete all browsing History.
    • Clear cache memory
    • Clear cookies from the browser.

Finally I installed Firefox in my laptop. It works fine for me. The performance of the Firefox is very good comparing to Safari browser. So if anyone is frustrated with Safari browser then you are highly recommended to use Firefox browser. The CPU usage is also less compare to the safari browser.