Thread: Some addon are not compatible with Firefox 8 Beta

Some addon are not compatible with Firefox 8 Beta

I have recently upgraded to Firefox 8 Beta and the thing that I have found is that some of my addon are not compatible with it and they are appearing as disabled. I have tried to install some of them thorough install.rdf. The other thing that I had tried is login in to the Fx8 with a different profile and then I just edited the .xpi files in order to get the maxversion of "8.* It said that the addons are corrupted and all so I downloaded them again from the addon site but then I am getting the same response. Is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me with this? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: Some addon are not compatible with Firefox 8 Beta

I have recently upgraded to Firefox 8 Beta and the thing that I have found is that some of my addon are not compatible with it and they are appearing as disabled. I have tried to install some of them thorough install.rdf. The other thing that I had tried is login in to the Fx8 with a different profile and then I just edited the .xpi files in order to get the maxversion of "8.* It said that the addons are corrupted and all so I downloaded them again from the addon site but then I am getting the same response. Is there anyone who has an idea about the same and can help me with this? Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

I will suggest you to use Add-on Compatibility Reporter in order to keep the incompatible extensions enabled. I will also like to add that it is an official extension designed which can be used to test extensions on alpha and beta builds, if you have any problem with the same then you can very well report the same. Installing it you can also edit the .xpi files manually as well.Just check it out and then see if it is helping you or not.

I will just like to know if you are using about:config of extensions.checkCompatibility.8.0a - false and if you are using so then you will have to make sure that you are having 8.0a on the end. I mean that the UA should not say that you are using 8.0. I was having the same problem but then I got it worked again after installing it. Just check it out and see if you are having the same case and if yes then install it and then your problem should be solved. Best of luck.

Rajni Guest

I will like to share that for the 8.0b1 it is 8.0 where as 8.0 does not exist on the Aurora channel anymore and I think that it might have worked for you because you might be having old build, I mean that when the 8.0 was in Aurora channel as 8.0a2, just take a look at these extensions:
    • extensions.checkCompatibility.x.0b
    • extensions.checkCompatibility.x.0a
    • extensions.checkCompatibility.nightly

As far as I am aware I don’t think that the a or b is required because I had previously got 8.0b1 and the 8.0b in the about:config failed because if which there was a need to create a new exception using 8.0 and when I did the same then it worked out for me and the problem was solved. I had reloaded the below file:
    Firefox Setup 8.0b1.exe

If you want you can use the same and see if it is helping you out as well.

I just wanted to add that that I am looking after the no of extensions because I want to be at the minimum. I am aware of these extensions and I know that they are capable of doing that as well but then I have kept the same as my last options. I had also used the manual rdf-edit and it had worked for me but then I am looking for a different solution. Other than that I was not aware that we can create entries in about:config and here I just wanted to know that will I have to create some other entry or the 8b will be sufficient. I have also tried to check out for a developer version of it but have not got any success yet. I doubt that they are available to public but then if anyone is having an idea about it then please share.

no problem guys I have 69 addons and have been able to make them all compatible step 1 add nightly tester tool don't worry if its compatible or not type the word about:config into your address bar go to firefoxes registry or whatever its called and look for the phrase nightly.disablecheckcompatibility next to it there will be the word false double click it and change it to true then add a addon called check compatibility 1.3 all 69 of my addons know work except for McAfee site adviser which seems to work differently than addon would appreciate help there but i just open in IE to check the safety of downloads McAfee firewall security center however is fully functional