Thread: Smooth scrolling very sluggish in opera 11.6/12 with ubuntu 11.04

Smooth scrolling very sluggish in opera 11.6/12 with ubuntu 11.04

HI, i have computer running ubuntu 11.04 and for browsing the internet i used to use firefox browser but the only feature that i liked about the opera browser is their smooth scrolling but still that’s the only thing which is causing problem right now. As with this newer alpha released whenever the feature is on it hangs the whole browser and all the things behaves in quite sluggish manner. Don’t know what could be the problem because as the extent to i know the build i am using in my machine is also good enough, isn’t it see below.

• Pentium IV 3,06 GHz with HT;

• 2GB of RAM;

• 7300GT with drivers 285.05.09 - the latest stable

Actually the problem is especially noticeable while scrolling by means of a mouse wheel both on websites and SpeedDial. Is there anybody having same problem with the browser. Any suggestion for resolving this would be appreciated.

Re: Smooth scrolling very sluggish in opera 11.6/12 with ubuntu 11.04

well, the feature that you have mentioned is currently been tested by their developers, thus until the final version gets release we must have to make use of either another browser or the way we are using this one right now. And let me tell you as this is not the only bug we have found with this alpha build rather there are so many, and off course they have given this version in order to know the bugs from the end users so that you can even report the same thing to their official website as well.

But till now why don’t you make it off so that you will not get any problem with the browser, because as mentioned above that’s the only way we can use the browser. Either you can make use of another one or get the feature off.

i am agree with the above user as you should try to get the smooth scrolling disable and then see what happens, because i think after doing that you’ll not get any problem with the browser. Apart from can you please let me know Is that with or without hardware acceleration enabled ? but as mentioned above as well i would say low scrolling or un-smooth scrolling has been accounted by a lot of people, so not an unusual thing.

I was also about to do the same thing, but don’t know exactly how to get it disabled ? and thanks for the suggestion guys.

see i am not sure about the ubuntu but still the way i know is like by pressing CTRL+F12 will enable a setting window and in Advanced tabs you need to select “Browsing” option from the left panel and after that you’ll get an option to enable and disable the “Smooth scrolling” in the browser you are using.

But still i think this must be some problem with the OS you are using in your machine because see i have tested the same thing with the windows OS and haven’t got any problem with the machine in fact everything works perfectly, thus according to me you should also try to reinstall the browser once in your machine and then whether you are getting the same performance or what, because if so then you can have so many other option such as to make use of either previous version or simply an another browser.