Thread: After opening two web browsers in Linux mint, system is not responding

After opening two web browsers in Linux mint, system is not responding

In Mint 11 opening a second browser, and beating the system boot from hard disks and slowed down so bad, even the mouse pointer is not proper. Impossible to reach the console or the system monitor to kill tasks. This time, the system eventually returned to normal enough that I could kill Chrome. Performance instantaneously restored. CTRL_ALT_BACKSPACE pressing to pick up X it might be easier if you lose running applications.

Again after the opening of Chrome. I had to press the reset button hard because the hard drive was left with nothing coming back. There is little or no warning of this unless you're watching the memory usage on the monitor. That is, the system will work perfectly useless in seconds with no time in between.

Before you start fiddling with things like I love vm.swappiness receive any advice or if it is a known issue and I feel better with another distro Or if this can be arranged or you can relieve much as I can cope. If I could add another 2 GB of RAM, nevertheless would rather not spend the money, which is likely to only delay the trouble, and also I of 2 web browsers when XP old bastard could manage well with him?

Re: After opening two web browsers in Linux mint, system is not responding

Windows XP, using Firefox grew to mind is usually about 1.7 GB before I had to come out of serious troubles related to memory and the need to restart Firefox. Mouse pointer does not respond, but never was.

In Mint11, Firefox memory usage at present is about 1 GB with a similar number of open tabs and now I have to open another significant application can cause serious performance troubles.

If you actually only running two browser so you can be connected in two accounts to the same website, you may consider using Firefox profiles. You can create an additional profile (next to the default used now), and start a separate instance of Firefox for that. This allows you to log in two accounts to the same website (the profiles are separated markers, settings, accounts and passwords to remember, etc.).

But do not want to make more use of mint without any hope of solving this, as there are other things I have to do, which involve running multiple applications. Going back to the execution of an application once it seems a step backwards, not forwards. And forget something, and easily lose your job / time, and that makes this is unacceptable in a working machine in my humble opinion!

Not sure of the compatibility with different software when it comes to 64 bits. I mean I have flash 64-bit I believe. Although unless you already have a good cause you require it. You cannot perceive how using Mint 32-bit and other applications that lays back, shrugs.

Memory usage of Firefox is crazy, but not much I can do about it .Chromium is actually worse, with a large number of chips. Just turned on the "virtual memory" in the monitoring and Firefox is now showing 1.8 GB. This is working very well done (by itself).

I'm not sure how to understand the dissimilar memory types and how they evaluate to the windows. "I think the figure of 1.7 GB was the size of virtual memory in Windows Explorer in reality in the process, using the Memory on the same on both platforms’ agree with 2 GB should not have this trouble .

Maybe this should be moved from the beginner, as the care needs of someone with a deep knowledge of Linux memory management? No offense to those who have published, but we appreciate your

This is not an ordinary trouble, but Linux Mint 11 uses somewhat more memory than its precursor. I imagine the matter with the browser, with a lot of tabs open that I could acquire my old system with 2 GB only in a state too. Upgrading to some memory is likely to alleviate this - it did for me.

In Terminal, run the command "free" to get a clear picture of the use of system memory. In line memory used column shows the amount of memory in use. However, it must deduct from the cache column than in reality. The cache is the free memory that the kernel is used to optimize system performance, while any application you need.

You may install and use a lighter DE (desktop environment). That'd cut things a bit by itself w / o applying a lot of adjustments. If you learn to use Fluxbox is a WM Lil cornered anyway. Add some shortcut keys, ranging from easy to extremely practical and fast to use. However I mention FF plug-in, check if you want and email clients to monitor a group of accounts for you to verify that if you like. As for trying 32 vs. 64 bits. Double / triple / quad boot with XP, not difficult. To my knowledge at least, as I have. They have XP and 3 Quad nix installer starts now. So if you want to observe if there is a genuine dissimilarity. I would say that creating a test partition and install 32bit Mint 11 in the box to evaluate the consequences.

Are there any special reasons why you want to run Min11 especially? Given the problems upstream Ubuntu 11.04, the kernel, so I avoid it like the plague and either run 10 or even Mint fall back to Mint 9 LTS.Considering how hard you use your system, you should right away alter your vm swappiness to 10 - this is a standard advice anyway, and I perceive no trouble why would against.

There is no point in switching to a different distribution if you necessitate the bells and whistles of 11 Mint Gnome. If you do not necessitate then would be much superior to attempt a lighter version, like XFCE (based on Debian) or LXDE (Ubuntu-based). Or even you could try if you fancy LMDE to dirty their hands. This material may not be what you want to hear, nevertheless if you cannot change the way you do your job then you have to make a compromise somewhere - or buy more RAM.

I imagine that reducing sappiness things worse. The problem is the system apparently does nothing until suddenly the RAM and dies. To previous page could be a good idea. it will take a time of trial and error to figure this out. I was hoping for some suggestions for the use of adjustments to the core / memory. I told to use another distro or XP!not just of my work .

To make use of the system as if you were a "user", then you need an energy system user-type - 8Gig of RAM would be a good start. If you have this trouble in the Mint, then you almost certainly have it in any distro be able to decide to maintain a high-end distribution.

I asked if you had looked at the log files it may be a fault in the background here. Or there could be errors in the kernels, which can cause overheating - this could be the cause of their troubles.