Thread: Scam in Skype notification

Scam in Skype notification

I do use Skype on my system. Few days back I received a Skype notification that was hinting me to update my Skype account by going to Skype website . So I was wondering whether it is a scam or what?

Re: Scam in Skype notification

Yes of course it is a scam because Skype does not currently send IM's to people about anything. So if you receive an email or a call claiming to be from Skype under the name of "Online Notification" or "Skype alert system" or from the Skype usernames "xys" and "xyz4", do not answer it because if it is a spam call that will tell you that you have a virus on your computer and will ask you to visit .which will affect your system. Fraudulent emails and calls may also ask you to provide your Skype password, Skype payment details, or other sensitive personal information. They may also advise you that your account is being cancelled, you have been reported for abuse, or that your payment or password has been refused or changed.

These emails and calls are known as "spoof" or "phishing" emails or calls. And the people who send them hope that you will open the attachment to the email (if provided) or answer the call. If you do so, the attachment file or the call itself could infect you computer with dangerous viruses. Hence your personal information can be hacked and hampered. .So to avoid receiving any calls like this, you can adjust your privacy to not receive any call from a person outside your contact list and to do this you need to open Tools > Options > Privacy > Show Advanced Options and adjust your settings accordingly.

Re: Scam in Skype notification

Yes it is an absolute SCAM as Skype don’t give such calls. To protect your system you should never download or install any unsolicited application or click on any link not initiated by you. Doing this you will most certainly end up with malware virus on your system that can hamper your personal information. Stating your system is infected is a common ploy of malware. So you need to Trust ONLY messages that comes from the Virus application you have installed on your system.