Thread: Getting msn search "error 404 "

Getting msn search "error 404 "

I am using win xp as my operating system and I am using IE8 and I am having some kind of problem with the msn and it is that I am getting this error 404 every time currently msn is my home page and the search tool that I am using is the bing. I have already tried to run the Malware Bytes and Security Essentials just to check that the cause of this is not because of any kind of virus but there was nothing like that and what I have noticed is that when I am searching with Google chrome than it is working fine. Is there anyone who have faced the same problem and have come up with a solution for it and can help me out as well .Any suggestion regarding this will be appreciated.

Re: Getting msn search "error 404 "

I have heard that this type of the problem with the bing is due to the Zugo adware and you can check the presence of this unwanted adware program by checking for the following files:
    • Adware.CnsMin
    • Adware.CtxPop
    • Adware.DM
    • Adware.Dymanet
    • Adware.EasySearchBar
    • Adware.ESB
    • Adware.eStart
    • Adware.Exfol

Yes I have heard about this before if this is the case then what you can try is just that when you are running your antivirus right click on it and then run it as an administrator and also make sure that you have not hidden any file and you can get a complete view of all the files in order to scan them to stop them from interfering with the repairs. You should also disable all the other programs that are running in the background .Just try out the solution and make a complete scan and then see if you are facing the same problem or not. If this does not work then let me know I will try to help you with different solution.

You can try the below solution as well:
    • Download and run the Microsoft Safety Scanner tool (freeware).
    • Reboot your PC.
    • Download, update and run Malwarebytes, Anti-Malware Free
    • Reboot and Test.

Try the below solution it has found to be effective by a no of people who had faced this type of problem:
    • Click on Start > Run >Type cmd
    • cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc (press enter)
    • cacls hosts /p everyone:f (enter)
    • Press Y and enter

I have tried this method once I was facing the same problem and it had worked for me but then I will like to inform you that there are possible chances that you might get an error saying 'The system cannot find the file specified' and we get this error because our hosts file might have been and the computer must be using the backup file to call the host and the backup might have been hijacked and you might have to replace the host as well.

In order to replace the host with hosts in such cases.Just follow the below steps (press enter after every command ):
    • Click on Start > Run >Type cmd
    • cd c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
    • cacls hosts /p everyone:f
    • Press Y
    • attrib hosts -s -h -r
    • notepad hosts
    • And once you get a notepad in the pop up remove the following entries: 127.0.0.1 localhost
    • ::1 localhost -vista and windows 7
    • Press Ctrl+s
    • attrib hosts +s +h +r
    • Close the command prompt and then check the browser.

I will like to inform you all that )Microsoft fixit is not going to help as I have already tried it when I was facing the same problem you can better try out the Norton power erase as I have solved my problem with this tool so I know that it really helps. I don’t have idea about the above solution I mean I have found it to be helpful in many forum on this same problem but I am still not quite sure about it as I have not yet tried it before. So you yourself can try out and make out that which one was helpful for you and after your problem is solved please specify by which solution thank you.

You can try to change the internet explorer setting as well. What all you have to do is just close all the application evens the internet explorer and go to start and then click on run and when you get a box type inetcpl.cpl in it and then press enter. You will get a internet option dialog box so now click on the Advanced tab and then under the Reset Internet Explorer setting click on reset and then and then again click on the rest and then close the window and then check if you find any difference or it has solve your problem or not.