Thread: When saving an .html or .mht file, Opera 11.1 silently erases previously saved files in the same folder.

When saving an .html or .mht file, Opera 11.1 silently erases previously saved files in the same folder.

I downloaded Opera 11.1 and I noticed a bug in this. If you will save an .html or a .mht file then the previously saved file from that folder will get deleted automatically if the title of the page you are saving is same as the title of any file in that folder. It will not give you any kind of notice or warning about deleting that file. For example, if you search anything on Google and search result page opens and then you save that page and after that opening next page of that search result and then if you save that page then it will get saved but the previous page will get deleted automatically, as they both have same title. Previous versions of opera were not having this bug. In previous versions when names of two title were matching then a warning dialog box opens to ask whether you want to overwrite the previous file or not. But, this version doesn’t show such warning, it just silent overwrites. It means we have to check the title of all previous files, every time we save a page, just to check whether they have the same title or not.

Re: When saving an .html or .mht file, Opera 11.1 silently erases previously saved files in the same folder.

I think this will not be the case in Windows XP, because, I have seen that in such cases, windows asks us whether we want to replace the existing file or not. Hence, I can say this problem is not with the Opera in XP at least.

Re: When saving an .html or .mht file, Opera 11.1 silently erases previously saved files in the same folder.

I wonder if it doesn’t happen with XP, then I then I think this bug is only with Windows 7 and may be in vista also. However, I am using Windows 7, and I feel this bug too annoying. And also, the file saving dialog box of opera changed to a new windows 7 one at the time when I noticed this bug. Therefore, I think they might be related.

I noticed this on Windows Vista also. If you save a webpage as page1 as an html file (no need to type name suffix) it will get saved in the folder and after that if you save another webpage as page1 as an html file then Opera will delete the previous page.htm without notifying you about this. Though, I have sent a report about this bug. I hope they soon release a fix for this.

Yes, this is a bug with Opera 11.1. But, recently I saw 11.11 changelog and I didn’t found anything related to fixing of this bug. Therefore, I think they have no idea about this serious bug becasue of which our files are being overwritten without any warning. It is really a very serious and harmful bug and it must be noticed and fixed very soon. But, till now they haven't noticed this issue. I hope they soon notice this bug and fix it as soon as they can.

Yes, I have also seen that, and I found that it is not fixed yet. This bug is with Opera 11.11 on Vista also. I hope it they release a fix for this very soon.

I am using Opera 10.1 on Linux. I have lost those files that I saved yesterday they have been overwritten. I think this is because of the same bug that you all are discussing about. I also didn’t got any kind of warning or notification about they are overwriting the previous file. I don’t want this to happen again, so if anyone has any fix for this then please reply.

I am using Opera 11.11 Build 2109. I also experienced this bug few times and I lost some saved pages. I am using Opera with Widows Vista OS. I tried to re-install Opera several times but that didn’t make any difference. Every time they had same bug. I hope they fix this bug as soon as they can because it is a very irritating and even a destructive bug. They should notice it and should release a fix for this.

The same bug is also in Opera 11.50. There is no mentioning about this bug is going to be fixed in 11.50 changelogs. I cannot understand why they are not addressing this issue. They should fix this as soon as possible. It is not a normal bug that deletes previously saved file without notifying us. Now, I have started using Firefox, because, I cannot work with opera until this bug gets fixed.

Here is a temporary solution for this bug that you can use as a temporary workaround. First open language file(“en,lng”) in notepad and in that finnd the below line.
    1133894039="HTML file|*.html;*.htm|HTML file with images|*.html;*.htm|Web archive (single file)|*.mht|Text file|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*|"
    Then change that to this,
    1133894039="HTML file|*.html;*.htm|HTML file with images|*.html;*.htm|Web archive (*.mht)|*.mht.mht|Text file|*.txt|All files (*.*)|*.*|"
    And then just save it. You can use this as a temporary fix.

Thanks for sharing this fix with us. Though, I am wondering that it has been six months but Opera has not addressed this serious issue that overwrites previously stored files without notifying us. I am waiting to see a fix for this issue in the changelogs. Till now they have give around ten thousand fixes since when this issue was introduced that is almost six months, but till now also they haven’t introduced any fix for this bug. I think they should give this bug a high priority, because it is deleting our files permanently and that also without giving any warning.