Thread: Rapid-release policy for Firefox

Rapid-release policy for Firefox

I found that there are many of the vocal users who do not like the policy. Other than there are the developers who are stuck just because of the extension which is required but do not work with the Firefox 6. I am not able to understand that why the older version of the Firefox is supported with the security updates for a short phase when a fresh version is available.

re: Rapid-release policy for Firefox

There are some points which are supporting your post and I am listing them.
    • Firebug is compatible through Firefox 6.
    • The preview build of Selenium IDE for Firefox 6 is accessible.
    • Firefox 3.6.x still exists. Except for this, for the use of web development, you can utilize previous insecure versions devoid of incurring any risk.

With the only reason that you are able to mark the extension as compatible does not implies that it is compatible if there is the method to build all extensions compatible through the fresh version of the Firefox magically.

Who says to wait, said exciting new features postponed for the next release. And during that time, Chrome and Internet Explorer even gaining ground because their releases come out faster. Mozilla has recently adopted what they call a Rapid Release Process which is a process of high-speed outputs. Every 6 weeks, a new version of Firefox will emerge. It will not be marked by adding features, as is the case for 90% of the software, but the rhythm of time, as is the case for example at Canonical with Ubuntu.

Releases are punctuated by time. It is therefore possible that there have no new features eggs patients between the versions but only optimizations and bug fixes. If a feature is not ready, it will not be deployed in the final release of Firefox but can remonstrate with the tip of his nose very quickly, after 6 weeks. Before when a feature was not ready for a major release, we had to wait a year before she had her chance again. Not motivating for developers and for users not cool. At this rate, Firefox 8 will come before the end of the year. For the end user that always wants the latest in software, if tomorrow between 9 and Firefox 10, he sees no difference with the naked eye, because there were just updates to fix bugs, he does not understand the significance of this release. And it will happen because that's how it works now. Remove the version number and adopt the process of rapid releases, Firefox is making a much more alive, like a website where the updates are made continuously.

The user wins because of this as he no longer have to wait months and months for this or that new feature and Mozilla wins because they become much more responsive to Chrome, which also works out frantic pace. And that is not detrimental to the stability of the browser, since Aurora and Beta are there to mop up the bugs. I also run between Aurora and Beta, and I had no worries for now. Apart from that, Firefox developers have not forgotten and greatly improved its web console not to mention the integration of a new tool called (in French), slate JavaScript (Scratchpad English), which allows execute JavaScript on the current tab.

The choice of browser, it's like the choice of operating system for each person who adopts him best. All of which are still to be tested to see if it suits you. I invite you to test a browser for a few days different from what you have. Chrome, Opera, Firefox and even IE. And depending on your experience, you will find the browser that suits you best.

In recent years many competitors have entered Open Source: one of these is Google Chrome, which has proved particularly valuable because of its speed "turbo", undermining the supremacy of Firefox. Many users, in fact, begin to focus Chrome to Firefox, so the Mozilla Foundation has decided to run for cover.

Re: Rapid-release policy for Firefox

My guess is no, because as a result of this fast development plan, including external plugin developers should be just as quick to release updates. Obviously you cannot expect that external developers, who are often behind giants such as the Mozilla Foundation, are able to keep pace with the fast pace of the parent, which will inevitably have incompatible plugins and unusable, what is missing, In my opinion, the real reason for success, as always, Firefox ie the possibility of expansion thanks to external elements.