Thread: Cannot read profile using chromium browser

Cannot read profile using chromium browser

I am using ubuntu 10.10 operating system at my home. I am using chromium browser from past many months. I like this browser and I have been using it without any problems. But from past 2 days it is giving me problems. Whenever I launch it I am getting an error message like “your profile could not be opened correctly. Some features may be unavailable. Please check that the profile exists and you have permission to read and write its contents” I see that I have lost all my bookmarks, password and most visited sites. Now I get the default welcome to chromium and themes sites which I had got when I first started using it. I don’t what the issue is? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Re: Cannot read profile using chromium browser

I have gone through your query and let me tell you that I have faced the same problem. I would suggest you to open a terminal and there type this code,
    mv ~/.config/chromium/Default ~/.config/chromium/Backup”
    And after doing this try to run chromium. I hope it should work now. Then close it and type this code in the terminal,
    rm -rf ~/.config/chromium/Default
    cp -R ~/.config/chromium/Backup ~/.config/chromium/Default
    Now I think when you will open, you will get all your preferences back. I hope this resolves your problem too. I had done this to resolve my issue. All the best

Well I think I have a solution for you but that will not bring back your bookmarks and preferences or anything. You should type this code in the terminal,
    You can now open it. I hope this works.

I think there is some extension error that you are facing. I have created a script that will fix this issue. I would suggest you to use this code,
    #!/bin/bash
    mv -f ~/.config/chromium/Default/* ~/.config/chromium/Backup/
    cp -R ~/.config/chromium/Backup/ ~/.config/chromium/Default/
    Put this code in a text document and make it executable. I hope this works and resolve the issue.

You can delete the current browser and install it back. Installing it gain should help. Let me know if it helped. If it did not help then I will provide you with different solution.

If you are looking for the terminal menu and don’t know what it is and where it is then I would say do not worry. Go to the main Applications menu>> go into the Accessories menu and >> select Terminal. A terminal window will get opened. This terminal window is quite similar to the dos prompt. Just enter few codes mentioned above and try. I hope it works.

I think you need to delete webdata to resolve your issue. You will find the webdata in the default folder. Try to do this and restart your browser. I hope it works

I had faced the same problem. I also got the same error message as you have mentioned. I did a lot of things to resolve the issue but nothing happened. I and my friend researched a lot in this matter. Finally after researching for long we found that this error message that we were getting was because of the corrupted history file. This file is actually a file which keeps the record of old visited web sites. For more information I would ask you to search on the google website. You will definitely get solutions over there.

I think this error comes when chromium is opened with sudo. Folder changes it's permissions to root and only lets read permission. I would ask you to try this code to resolve the issue.
    sudo chmod 770 -R ~/.config/chromium
    sudo chown USER:USER -R ~/.config/chromium (replace USER with your own user)
    After trying this code, try to use the chromium browser again.

let me tell you that i assume that this issue is because of the the operating system you have installed. i have previously heard that many people were having such issues with the chromium browser so i think you should check once on the website and get some help from there