Thread: How to Synchronize Extensions in Google Chrome

How to Synchronize Extensions in Google Chrome

I am using the Google chrome browser. I liked the browser it is really nice and good performing browser as compare to the other browser. I want to synchronize the browser extensions in Google chrome. So can anyone suggest me that the way we can synchronize the extensions in Google chrome? If anyone knows about it please provide help regarding it. Since there is support for synchronizing the bookmarks, preferences and themes.

Re: How to Synchronize Extensions in Google Chrome

Yes I will help you regarding this to you. The Google is helping to improve the support for most of the features. They are working really hard to make the improvement in browser. Currently they are testing the synchronize extension and their settings. This feature is available at the developer channel of Google. Which you have to install in the file. So try to install it. It will help you to synchronize the extensions. You can add it using this link “ http: //www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?extra= devchannel ”

I have visited the link you provided yes it is installed to the my chrome browser but still I can’t able to synchronize the extensions in the browsers. Is there anything missing which need to be configured after the installation. If there anything like this please provide it.

Yes he doesn’t tell you the more things which have to be done after installation of it. After installation of the synchronizes extension in the browser you have to add the flags to it so it will be gets enabled. There are two flags which you have to add in it. You need to add flag and enable the feature using
    --Enable-sync-extension--sync-url=" https: //clients4.google.com/chrome-sync/dev "
    Ignore the double quotes in it while using it. Now the extension will work perfectly for you.

Yes what he says is the correct step which need to be done after installing the synchronize extension. But he is not mentioned actually where you have to add it actually. It need to be added in the Google chrome shortcut file. Follow the steps
    • In windows mode you have to edit the chrome shortcut
    • Right click on the shortcut of chrome.
    • Click on the properties of it.
    • Now in the target field append the flag which he provided in it.

I liked this feature which Google has implemented for synchronizing the files. I tried the feature of the dev channel build for the windows version which is available for the latest chrome build. I liked this feature many of the changes are synchronized quickly without any problems. But sometimes it is causing problem using this. Some scripts are not getting synchronized and ignored by it. Which need to be changed in it.

Yes some of the extension are not get synchronized by the chrome I have checked this Grease monkey extension is not working with it. It gets ignored by the chrome and its gets uninstall it automatically .such a problems are causing by the it since it is just a first time implementation of the extension. Since it is in the development and can have the bugs in it. so such can occur in it. and we have to wait for the bugs need to be solved by the developer in the Google . if you need perfectly working build you have to wait for the stable build need to be launched by the Google in few months.

If the feature is in under development by the Google. Then we have to wait for stable build of the file. So use other ways. Right now I am using other application for it which will let me synchronize everything. You can use Google chrome portable from the portable apps site. In this there is feature known as drop box. This feature will keep all your content in browser synchronized.

But what I know about the Google chrome is that about synchronizing is that. There is one problem we cannot synchronize the extensions from other places. So you can synchronize the extensions from the chrome extension gallery or from the chrome store. So if you want to use third party extension it doesn’t get synchronized. And about the drop box feature of the portable apps is really good for me also. So use this until the complete well build tool will come out from the Google for Chrome browser.

I am right now using the linux and windows in same system. So if anyone want to know about where actually the extension files stored in the system. I have the extension location for both the os
    • Windows : C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
    • Linux : /.config/chromium/Default

I haven’t got my hands on the feature. Since it is in the development and don’t want to add it since it has the bugs in it. So right now I am using the MS LiveSync for synchronization. It works for me when using two browsers on the different computers. But has some problem it works if you are actually browsing on the single browser at a time if you try to browse it on both the computer it is not working perfectly and stops synchronizing.