Thread: How to convert dynamic IP to static IP in RHEL 5.3 in arch Linux

How to convert dynamic IP to static IP in RHEL 5.3 in arch Linux

Hi, I have a machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 operating system and in that recently I am running it with a dynamic IP, but I want to change it to the static IP, but don’t know how to do that, In fact I don’t know even is it possible or not, but if yes then I would like if someone gives me the proper idea about that, I mean to say how can I convert it, any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: How to convert dynamic IP to static IP in RHEL 5.3 in arch Linux

Yeah this is possible to do this but there are certain limitations as well with this conversion, I mean to say if suppose the dynamic IP you are discussing about is consign by your ISP then you cannot make it static, rather you must have to run it dynamic only. Or you can simply make use of system-config-network tool to modify your Dynamic IP to static IP concerning on the local system. And as soon as you do that you need to change some network-level changes so that the IP addresses you're assigning isn’t in obstruct assigned by the DHCP server.

You can make use of third party software also for the same, I mean to say there are software that can change the dynamic Ip to static IP address, but I am confused that which kind of connection that you are using? Because if this is a dial up connection then you must have to be with the dynamic IP only, because you can’t change It to static. And the main thing is like the IP will change after some time without even knowing you, without making you bothersome.

Sure you can do that, and this is too simple as to utilize a static IP, for that you have to just go to the properties of TCP/IP and that you can obtain by right clicking on Network Places icon and that may be on the desktop itself and there you’ll find the option button to choose between static and the dynamic one, so check the button after that you can manually enter IP address and that’s the static one, and this will Avoid automatic obtaining IP.

Hey I have done that but still for while it display the static one that I have set but as I restart the machine it again take another IP address that’s the dynamic Ip again, I men to say the changes that we made that doesn’t take effect after restarting the machine. so how can we obtain that? and I have set it through the system-config-network, is there any other suggestion for this ? anyways thanks guys for your kind attention.

Ok you can do this through another way to like by accessing the files from this directory you have to change the setting through the configuration file,

vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Now here you’ll find the some of the names as follows, and you have to change it to whatever you want but make sure that you entering is perfectly valid.

DEVICE= (name of your Ethernet device)
    BOOTPROTO=static
    BROADCAST=(here you have to enter the IP address that you want to assign )
    IPADDR=
    NETMASK=255.255.255.0
    NETWORK=192.168.37.0
    ONBOOT=yes
    GATEWAY=(enter you gateway address)

This Ip you can get from you ISP also.

You can easily do this but still I would like to suggest you that you should not change the IP to static because they are the one that must be change after some time, this will help you to ensure the security and by the way if the IP get changes no one can easily trace it so your machine is very difficult to hack. But still if you want to do so then you must have to configure it manually and that will generally work as static only.