Thread: How to disable Facebook tab in Skype via GPO or REG?

How to disable Facebook tab in Skype via GPO or REG?

I recently updated the Skype Messenger which was installed in my Windows 7 32-bit Operating System. I have found that it consist of Facebook tab it. So I wanted to know how I can make it possible to disable/remove this tab from the Skype which I have installed in my system. Is there any automated way to do so, or it is not possible to do so? Please if anyone have got any trick to do so, either via Group Policy (GPO) or Registry (REG) hacks, than share the information with me as well. Also where can I find the latest ADM GPO file for Skype? Thank you in advance.

Re: How to disable Facebook tab in Skype via GPO or REG?

Hey dude, I am also facing this issue after I updated the Skype messenger which I had installed the latest available update for it in my system. The only solution for this issue at this moment which I found to be working and very useful to me all this time, is to uninstall the latest updates that you recently updated for your Skype. What you can do in order to bring an end to the issue is to roll back the changes which you did by updating your Skype. You can uninstall the Skype which is installed in your system and reinstall the earlier version of the same in your system.

You can also roll back the update by performing System restore and get rid of the updates which you installed for your Skype and invited the issues. But instead of doing so, I would recommend you to wait for the release of next update from the Skype Officials. As the officials might have surely noticed this issue of users not able to close the Facebook tab from the new interface of Skype, I am sure the release will be out any time in near future and it might be consisting of Fix to this issue.

Following is the hack to remove Facebook Tab from Skype. But, it is in Shared XML.
    • What you need to do is stop the Skype application from running on your system (Quit).
    • Now, go to Windows Start and type the following %appdata%\skype in the search box and hit the Enter key.
    • The above path will open Skype Folder. Now locate the folder with your Skype user name.
    • Open this folder and find file with name config.xml.
    • Open the config.xml file in any text editor like Notepad.
    • Search for the key <General>. Here you will find the following:

Code:
    <FlamingoDisconnected>1</FlamingoDisconnected>
    <FlamingoLastRead>0</FlamingoLastRead>
    <FlamingoLastUpdate>0</FlamingoLastUpdate>
    • Change the value in order to enable/disable the Facebook tab in Skype.

Thank you, guys for the suggestions. Special thanks to the one who shared the XML hack inorder to solve my problem. That was a very good hack but I feel that it is not that appropriate one, as it is totally impossible to apply it for each and every users as each Skype users will be having different Skype folders. Anyways once again thanks for your time and effort. Still, if anyone is having any more suggestions, then please feel free to post your quality replies. They will be appreciated like always.

Not all the features are activated in the free version of the Skype application. I am not sure but there might be some feature to disable the facebook tab from Skype interface in its paid version or the Business version. So, if you can, then I would recommend you to try the business version of Skype. Also as Microsoft has got involved with Skype, we can expect to see additional features to be added to Skype in coming future. Just, wait for the release of new updates.