Thread: Do the Opera 11 support socks proxy

Do the Opera 11 support socks proxy

Hi all, whenever the discussion comes for the browser then there is only one thing that comes into my mind and that is Opera browser. It is the best browser that I have used so far. I am currently using the Opera 10 in my computer and now I want to change to the Opera 11. But before moving to that, I would like to ensure some of the things. I want to know that if that supports the socks proxy? If you know anything about this then please let me know that. Thank you.

Re: Do the Opera 11 support socks proxy

The Opera web browser is having the led contest in terms of technical modernization, although lagging within market share. Features similar to Speed-Dial, User Java Script, User CSS, as well as built-in content blocking contain additional browser creator playing catch-up, as well as provided a wealthy market intended for extensions to these additional products. Add in the truth that Opera is a completely practical mail client (genuine POP plus IMAP hold up, not only the web mail), and there looks to be a small cause to utilize everything else. The one obvious blunder from the list of supported things within Opera was hold up for SOCKS proxy servers. Opera holds up HTTP as well as HTTPS proxies, with WAIS and FTP, but unhappily, no SOCKS hold up.

Yes, Opera 11 supports the SOCKS Proxy. They have added support designed for the SOCKS Protocol Version 5. This should be configured through the opera:config. You will have to enter the SOCKS server as an IP address. This makes use of the DNS information. As the starter, you will be able to adjust that with the help of the Opera Preferences Editor which is there at the opera:config > Proxy.

If you do not wish to do it with the Opera Preferences Editor then you will be able to do that from the Opera 11.50 beta version, directly from the GUI preference. You will have to go to the Preferences\Network\Proxy Servers\ and from there you can use that. So search for the 11.50 beta version of it and install that in your computer. I am using the same and I am sure that this is going to work for you.

I would like to tell you that SOCKS 5 Proxy support is functional in the Opera 11.10. But is still not very clear as it is not coming into view within the menu. If you wish to use that then you will have to go to opera:config. So if you want more information regarding this then you should google that hard and you will get the detailed information. I hope that there will be some detailed reply on this. Thank you!!!

SOCKS proxy servers as HTTP proxy servers, offer a safe way to get through firewalls for web browsing or Internet access services, without opening additional holes in the firewall. SOCKS proxies are HTTP proxies functional because technologies such as AJAX (used by Yahoo's new webmail service) will not work through a HTTP proxy, but they functions well all the way through SOCKS.

You will see a check box Use as socks. Naturally, you want to check that box. Optionally, to add a list of host names that do not want to access through the proxy (which will connect unswervingly with them), as the available sites in the local intranet, they enter the proxy server field, and check Proxy servers do not check the box just below that. Then click the [Save] button at the bottom of the section, and that's it. Opera will now use the configured SOCKS proxy to connect to any site not listed in proxy server.

You will see a check box Use as socks. Naturally, you want to check that box. Optionally, to add a list of host names that do not want to access through the proxy (which will connect unswervingly with them), as the available sites in the local intranet, they enter the proxy server field, and check Proxy servers do not check the box just below that. Then click the [Save] button at the bottom of the section, and that's it. Opera will now use the configured SOCKS proxy to connect to any site not listed in proxy server.

This is completely preposterous and the ruins of what had been my choice of a new browser. What is a complete failure, I see no reason why I support things like HTTP / HTTPS, and even hell is a WAIS proxy, however, without socks. Is it pure laziness? I am very confused and had to uninstall the browser. Also, why no extensions or plugins proxy-switching/enabling/disabling. available? We're supposed to go to your preferences when you want to make a change?