Thread: After uninstalling Google chrome, Desktop shortcuts, hyperlinks (in Outlook, etc) stopped working

After uninstalling Google chrome, Desktop shortcuts, hyperlinks (in Outlook, etc) stopped working

I am having a computer which runs windows 7 operating system. I have installed several programs on my computer. Whenever any new software comes in the market then I always give it a try on my system and just check the features of it. So with same thing I installed Google chrome browser and after using it for some time I just uninstalled it, so then I found a problem that all my desktop shortcuts, then several hyperlinks from outlook, etc are not working. So what shall be the fix for the same?

Re: After uninstalling Google chrome, Desktop shortcuts, hyperlinks (in Outlook, etc) stopped working

I have found that this problem is faced by several users who were using Google chrome browser on their system. No need to worry about this because I have found the solution for this which might help you to solve the problem. The thing is when you have installed the chrome on your computer then there is a option for setting it as Default browser, thus after you have uninstalled the browser there is no default browser and hence due to which shortcuts have been affected.

Re: After uninstalling Google chrome, Desktop shortcuts, hyperlinks (in Outlook, etc) stopped working

The default program list has been affected due to chrome uninstallation. So in order to make those shortcuts again you have to map the default program again so that after pointing it to a particular program it would respond when you click on that shortcut. You need to go to default programs using tools menu from my computer, then from Files Tab just associate the files which are not getting opened by mapping it to needed program.

I think the issue had taken place because some application has gone faulty just because of chrome uninstallation and due to this the desktop shortcut might have got corrupted or missing path. This might happen because of terminated uninstall process and would have affected registry files. So better is to install the chrome again on your computer, so that all the missing or affected settings come back again and you have everything working properly

Yes definitely as you are saying that the problem have occurred after the chrome uninstallation process. So in order to make everything work properly, you have to restore the system to an earlier state. So just go to programs, accessories, system restore and there you have to select previous date, thus when you start performing restore, the process would take some time and it would give you the original working system, and the problem caused would be removed.

The other simpler option that you could do is that just install any other browser on your computer. I would recommend you to use Firefox as it is the only browser which I think has all the features. I am using it from many years, and it hasn’t dissatisfied me ever. So jut have its setup file, and when you install it on your computer, then don’t forget to check the option, to make it as default browser. This would make the default browser and also the links which are not responding would now be pointed to Firefox and thus you would be able to go to that link.

The links are not working using outlook that means there is no problem with the chrome. I guess it is an outlook which is causing this problem. Also to be clearer, just go to registry editor and then check whether there are any entries of chrome browser. As you want to remove the chrome, so if you find any entries there then chrome hasn’t got uninstalled properly and thus you need to manually remove the entries from registry editor to fix the problem.

Southcmft Guest

No, Chrome is the problem. You need to reset the program defaults in the control panel. This also effects Outlook when trying to open a link. By resetting your default browser to IE or Firefox, you should be able to fix the Outlook problem, but it may take some more playing. Restoring the system to a before Chrome was installed is also a good way to fix all of it, especially if it has only been a few days. This has become a big problem as Chrome is offered by default with a lot of free software. IMHO, IE9 or the latest Firefox are much better browsers.

Southcmft Guest

Just fixed a Win7 machine by resetting IE as the default browser. This fixed all of the problems, but I have done the same with XP and it did not fix the Outlook link problem.