Thread: How to update IDRAC via CIFS?

How to update IDRAC via CIFS?

Guys I am having Dell laptop and Dell notebooks have an interface card which known as IDRAC(Dell Remote Access Controller), it owns processor, network connection, and access to the system bus. As we it’s main features are like power management, remote console capabilities and virtual media access and I want to update this DRAC as there are many changes in its features in the new version. I want to upgrade DRAC using common internet file systems (CIFS) on LAN, please guide me to update DRAC step by step without vFlash.

Re: How to update IDRAC via CIFS?

Dude that depends on the system you are having, as on the 11g systems simplest method is using platform update function in USC. And you can’t update the IDRAC while you are using virtual media because IDRAC will reset during the flash. Since you are doing it without vFlash, First remote into the drac and then you have to run individual update packages by hitting your share from the Indows or the Linux.

Well thanks a lot buddy for such a quick reply , my system is Dell R710 with IDRAC Enterprise without vFlash. I think I have to update our customer server over a remote connection and that too without communicating with the customers. That’s why I am not able to use USB stick option and I will not do this by FTP from the Dell site. That’s why I want to use CIFS method from USC or vis Remote medis i.e. IDRAC site.

Mate I don’t have much practice on this, but still I have one solution you can give it a try, let me tell you what I have tried. First, I login into IDRAC and started the USC over the remote connection. And after that using cifs option started platform update.but sfater that I don’t what to provide a xml file, exe file, iso file.but for now it’s not possible for me to establish a connection with file share using USC. Because file share credentials were like this Domain/Username recommended by documentation, and I knew it was like username@domain but both of them didn’t gave me any result. Another option to update IDRAC over a remote connection is without interacting with third person.

Well mate on share you must have repository of files and normally it would be the Server Update Utility (SUU). If you don’t have it then download SUU 6.5 and place the extracted file from that iso to your cifs share. in USC, after selecting cifs your share name will be like \\systemname\fshare. ‘fshare’ is just for example suppose you call the share ‘fshare’. If you having some trouble in domain name then try to not to use the domain name. if you have SUU then keep Catalog location or update package path blank.and now extract all the SUU files to fshare folder, and create a subfolder and copy all the iso files there. Will doing this you will lose the connection but you have to wait for 20minutes before reconnecting.

Hey guys thanks a lot for your support, I have posted this query on the Dell web site and on the other forums but nobody replied to my queries. But here I got replies so quickly and I tried the above given instruction and yeah it worked for me so thanks a lot guys for helping me out. Now I am able to update the server in all remote locations without interaction with third persons, and yeah all of these are OS independent. Thank you,