Thread: Keyword.url hijacked in Firefox

Keyword.url hijacked in Firefox

Yes guys that’s true. I think my keyword.url functionality has been hijacked by some spam content. Whatever u type in the url bar I get any other webpage only which claims that I have won a lottery or something other every single day. If I type Gmail then I get a list of pages with some gifts stuff and all. It is really very frustrating to see all this content in your web pages. So what should I do in such situation, I have even checked the about:config and I found that keyword.URL is still on the Google URL. So then why is it giving me a list of spam pages every day. Anyone of you all who can help me in such situation then please do let me know about it. I am eagerly waiting for your response.

Re: Keyword.url hijacked in Firefox

I would advise you to check the windows hosts file. I think that there must be a entry which may cause your page redirect from Google to the other spam pages that you are getting to see in the browser. So that’s what the main issue is, if any other ip address does gets an entry to the system then it will forcefully redirect to the spam page of your system. So do have a check about the windows host file I am sure that will be of lot of help for you.

Just check for the extensions. See in the addons if there is any extension which has got installed in your browser and you are not aware of that. If you can find such addons then do disable it as soon as possible. In case you cannot disable it then do remove it from the extensions folder under the Firefox category. So that’s what I want to specify, do have a thorough look at the suggestions that I have specified here and accordingly implement it and in case if that works then do let me know about it.

I want to know have you run the Firefox browser with the safe mode and have you checked if the same problem exists in the safe mode as well. See if that is the case then I would advice you to have a check about the same and see if that problem is existing in the safe mode or not. If it is not existing then the problem might be due to the extension or some adware which has got installed in your system, if again it gives the same problem in the safe mode also then I would advise you to uninstall the entire browser and then re install the browser again. I think that is the last option that you can try.

Yes even I am of the same opinion I think that adware is the main issue in your system and hence I think that’s the main root cause of the problem in the system. So do have a look at it and removing it from the system as soon as possible will be of great benefit for you. Check out for some good anti adware in the internet and flush out the adware’s from the system. So as of now I can give you this suggestion, do have a look at it.

Ok thanks for the help that you all have given me. I will certainly have a look at all the suggestions that you all have given me and I am very happy that many of them have responded to my query and I am very happy about it. So thanks a lot guys for responding to my query. As of now I am out for sometime so I cannot implement the solutions. I will surely work on them as soon as I come from outing.