Thread: How to uninstall Silverlight in Windows XP and Windows 7

How to uninstall Silverlight in Windows XP and Windows 7

I experienced my Windows Internet Explorer crashing down within few hours of installing Microsoft Silverlight in my laptop running Windows 7. To verify the problem I ended up installing the Silverlight in my standalone computer running XP in it. And to my surprise even the Internet Explorer in my PC with Windows XP stopped working. How can I disable the effect of Silverlight? Does anyone have got any information regarding this matter? Please help me. Your suggestions will be appreciated by me.

Re: How to uninstall Silverlight in Windows XP and Windows 7

Procedure to uninstall Silverlight from Windows XP:
    • Close all Internet Explorer windows if you are running any.
    • Click on Start button and then go to the Control Panel.
    • In the Control Panel window, double-click on “Add and Remove Programs.”
    • “Add and Remove Programs” window will appear.
    • Scroll down the list until you find the “Microsoft Silverlight”
    • Click on it and then click on the Remove button on the right hand side of the name ”Microsoft Silverlight”
    • Press Continue, to continue uninstalling Microsoft Silverlight from your system and then confirm uninstalling it by clicking on Yes.
    • Once the uninstallation process is completed, restart your system.

Procedure to uninstall Microsoft Silverlight from Windows Vista:
    1. Close IE windows if they are running.
    2. Go to Start and select Control Panel.
    3. Select the Uninstall Program link under the “Programs” icon.
    4. Search for Microsoft Silverlight and select it when found.
    5. Now click on the Uninstall button which is in the toolbar just above the list of programs installed in your system.
    6. Confirm the process of Uninstalling by choosing Yes.
    7. Now User Access Control (UAC) window will appear, click on Allow to continue uninstalling.
    8. Close the Control Panel window and restart your system.

You may not be knowing, how to uninstall the Microsoft Silverlight from your both computer but it is OK, You can get rid of your problem without even trying to uninstall them. You just have to perform system restore in your system. System restore process is almost similar in both windows XP and Windows Vista. To perform System Restore you must follow these steps:
    Go to: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.
    Select the restore point to which you want to perform restore. Press the Next button, follow the on screen instruction and allow the system to perform system restore. Remember to Restart your computer and laptop whenever it is prompted to do so.

Sometimes uninstallation process done through the Control Panel method does not delete all the related files to the application you wish to uninstall. Sometime unluckily you won’t be able to find the Microsoft Silverlight option in the Add/Remove programs window. In those conditions, you can remove the application or program you want to uninstall with the help of other special tools, they can be any third party tool. You can use CCleaner to solve your problem. It is free but very helpful and great software. You can even edit, clean your registry entry by using this software along with the normal process of cleaning up your disk, uninstalling applications and others. Just search for the same on Internet and install it in your system.

Thank you, guys for your quick replies. They were really a life saver. This Silverlight thing was really annoying me from a long time. Finally with the help of you such good peoples I am able to get rid of it permanently and now my Internet explorer in my both laptop and standalone computer is running without any trouble. I am looking forward to this forum in the near future when I face more problems. Please keep performing the good things you are doing and help people like me. Once again, thanks a lot.