Thread: Internet Explorer 8: Unable to view .mht file but can be seen in mapped network drives

Internet Explorer 8: Unable to view .mht file but can be seen in mapped network drives

Previously I was having Internet Explorer 6 on the computer of mine. Two days before I have guarded my browser with Internet Explorer 8. I am unable to see .mht which is launched by the local drive. If I try to view .mht file in to C drive of the computer I am getting status bar option to run or execute Script or ActiveX. When I choose Enable to run then it shows page cannot display by Internet Explorer. If copy the same file on the network drive that is on J:\ drive on 2003 file server then I can open the file without any trouble. Let me know if you know anything regarding the solution of this particular problem. Any suggestion will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Internet Explorer 8: Unable to view .mht file but can be seen in mapped network drives

Well I am providing couple of work around to fix the matter. try them and let me know whether it was helpful to you or not.
    • First of all I am suggesting you that you should delete and again try to add .mht file extension. You can do the same by going for Folder Option and choose File Types and add them again.
    • Another thing you can try which can be stated as follow. You have to go for Internet Option and go for Advanced and click on Security now click on Allow ActiveX.
    Use the above mentioned instruction and see what happens.

Re: Internet Explorer 8: Unable to view .mht file but can be seen in mapped network drives

I recommend that you should try to add the website which opens the .mht file in to trusted sites. You can use the following instruction to add the website in trusted sites.
    • You have to click on start button and go for Internet Explorer.
    • Now browse for the website which you wanted to add specific security zone.
    • Now go for Tools and choose Internet Options.
    • Now click on Security tab and choose the Security Zone.
    • Now click on Sites.
    • In case your site is not secured then you have to uncheck Require server verification (https for all sites in this zone check box.
    • Now you have to click on Ok and see what happens.

Well you told me the .mht file is working fine on other location then I suspect that your user profile on your computer is being corrupted. You are having two options to do in this particular situation.
    • You have to move Temporary Internet Files folder to the other user profile folder than that of the corrupted one. However I don’t know how to move the Temporary Internet Files folder so sorry for that. You can ask here to other users for the same.
    • Second option is very simple! You have to create new user profile and move all the file of the corrupted folder to the new user profile.
    I am hoping that any of above solution will help you to solve the problem of yours.

I know the steps of the moving of the Temporary Internet Files folder. Well it consist of the following steps.
    • You have to create a new folder where you wanted to save Temporary Internet Files. Make sure that you have named the file as ‘Temporary Internet Files’ without quotes.
    • Now launch Internet Explorer if it is already closed.
    • Now go for Tools and click on Internet Option. You have to go for Browsing history and click on Settings.
    • Now you have to click on Move folder and choose the folder which you have created.
    • Now click on OK to close all the windows.
    • Reboot your computer and see whether problem persists or not.