Thread: Does there is a need of ActiveX on my system

Does there is a need of ActiveX on my system

I have some doubts about the working of ActiveX controls. I had changed the original settings of ActiveX controls and the computer works silently. I found that this can let the virus inter my system without my knowledge. Some of the features I found become re-usable and or are in put to sleep permanently. What could be better here. To let this ting work or simply do disable the same. I do not want to indulge any other security risk on my system that can give me a major issue in future. What can you thinking on the configuration settings. What are the possibilities that are available here.

Re: Does there is a need of ActiveX on my system

What I know about this that ActiveX is a Microsoft technology that lets you to create simple web pages with nice effects. So that is quiet a beneficial utility if you are in a web business. Now the other thing that comes in the mind is why to talk about it the on site computer security. Does this really needed to be considered. Well that's because this technology does not follow some basic safety rules and can even be quite dangerous for your system. But do not thing that this is not powerful. There are some places where it lags som equalities. To understand then you will need to go through a more detailed guide based on Active X. You have to look for more resources that can tell you about the security risks involved in this.

It is correct to say that ActiveX technology is a bit issue starting. It is a proprietary Microsoft technology and in principle can be interpreted as such with the Microsoft browser, Internet Explorer. It does not in any case respect the famous international standard W3C which aims to unify the coding of web pages so they are correctly interpreted by any browser. Today webmasters want their pages to be readable by the greatest number are therefore not particularly benefit from using ActiveX controls to write their pages. Again, nothing dangerous, just the annoying. It is on your choice to use the same.

There are security risk involved in this. JavaScript is a scripting language to enhance HTML to create such effects and interesting and practical tools. It offers you to make forms, online voting system, etc on a web page. These scripts run on the local machine and not from the server, they are so much faster to run, which is much more comfortable for the user. For obvious security reasons, Sun has decided not allow Javascript to write to the user's hard drive, suddenly the possibilities are still limited. To do better than its competitor, Microsoft has not hesitated to take the step and thus, ActiveX controls have access to all files on your PC which you yourself have access, that is to say, in the most cases, almost all. So that is the place where you get issue.

Microsoft has introduced a certification system for ActiveX. The procedure for certification is lengthy and expensive. In short, some ActiveX are certified, some not. Those who are certified are supposed to be safe. However, one can well imagine that a certificate can be bypassed or tampered with in order to abuse the trust of the Internet and to install malicious software on his machine. The presence of ActiveX controls on some sites may present a certain risk when you surf the web. Fortunately with minimal configuration, common sense and a few well-chosen small software, risks related to ActiveX will be greatly reduced.

You do not need to worry about the security things in this service. It is possible to configure Internet Explorer to reject uncertified ActiveX and asks you systematically permission before installing an ActiveX control on your machine. To do this in the Tools menu of Internet Explorer, select Internet Options. Then go in the Security tab, click Custom Level. Here you can decide the settings and ask the same on prompt. Once Internet Explorer set, each time you visit a page containing an ActiveX, Windows opens a window asking you if you accept the ActiveX control installation. This window tells you whether this control is certified or not. If the control is not certified a big yellow triangle with an exclamation mark appears on the window.